Sign in to follow this  
drmnbig

How much to spend?

I'm looking at getting another bc combo this spring.  I've never been one to spend a ton of money on my rods and reels.  The most expensive combo I have is maybe $150.  I see some of you mentioning reel and rod combos that cost upwards of $4-500.  Is there really enough of a difference in the feel and performance of a combo in this price range for the everyday fisherman?  

Some may laugh but I love the feel of the Berkeley Lightning series rods and have fished with them for the better part of 10-15 years.  I usually pair it with a decent feeling $100 reel.  Just so you know, I honestly don't have the money to dump into anything really expensive so maybe some pointers on what to buy would be helpful also.

This will work for you just fine, but wait until it comes on sale.

BPS has their combinations on sale all the time.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102965_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1

8-)

I'm looking at getting another bc combo this spring. I've never been one to spend a ton of money on my rods and reels. The most expensive combo I have is maybe $150. I see some of you mentioning reel and rod combos that cost upwards of $4-500. Is there really enough of a difference in the feel and performance of a combo in this price range for the everyday fisherman?

YES, you can 't know if you have never tried.

Pair a Chronarch Mg to a GLoomis IMX and you will understand.

Here is the scoop on high end equipment.

The higher cost reels have more bearings and therefore perform better and last longer.

High end rods are supposed to have more feel and be more sensitive.

KVD says, in his book - Secrets of a Champion - to have all of the same brand rods so you will get to know the feel and you can feel the hits better.

KVD also suggests using rods made for specific techniques, such as drop shotting, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc.

Personally, I like Shimano reels but I do have a Flooger President that I love. Senko77 gave me a tip on what reel he uses for swimbaits and I am going to take a look at it at the Richmond Fishing Expo this weekend.

Your equipment is a personal choice but if you stick to the name brands, especially their high end models, you will have many hours of problem-free fishing.  :)

P.S.  Get Kevin's book.  It is outstanding and a great read.

Step one - determine you budget. What is absolutely the most you can afford in the very best situation. Then, multiply that by value 3. The result should be considered the lower end of your budget range ;D

If you are going to try an expensive rod, it is more important to get a rod for the right application than the right brand. A $400 7'11" enthusiast swimbait rod won't be very pleasing if you mostly throw weightless plastics.

Many here at BR have stated that your jig & worm rods should be the most expensive because sensitivity is so important to detecting subtle bites. On the other hand, other sage fisherman recommend watching for movements in your line to detect the bites (far less expensive).

Once you know the type of rod you need, find several quality alternatives that are near your budget. Be patient and diligent in searching for sales or opportunities that drop them into your budget.

I am a casual fisherman & do not get the time at the water to get experience with lots of gear. However, I think jumping up to rods in the $100 may not provide an overwhelming increase in sensitivity. However, you may find better ergonomics, lower weight & better build. In my limited experience, I do not find my Crucial to offer a tremendous increase in sensitivity relative to my BPS Extreme. Even so, the Crucial is far better at meeting my needs than anything else in the Extreme line-up.

However, I was "blown-away" by the performance of my Fenwick Techna AV (old design, but classic). So much so, that I immediately ordered another. Even so, I still use my Crucial the most because it meets more of my general needs; the Techna's have specific purposes. I cannot comment on the incremental benefits of other rods over $200.

Knowing your budget and needs will help you to get the most. I probably would not have spent the full $200 for my best rods. However, at approx. 50% off I am thrilled by my expensive rods.