Sign in to follow this  
Autiger24

Line for a jig rod

Right now I'm fishing all my jigs on Yo-zuri Ultra Soft 12#. I'm trying to decide whether I should switch to a full fluorocarbon, braid with a flurocarbon leader, or just stay where I am. Obviously there would be an increase in sensitivity with the braid. To me braid with fluoro seems to be perfect except for the extra knot. I've never fished a full fluorocarbon line either though. Would it add any sensitivity to what I have already? Any thoughts? Thanks

P.S. Uses: anywhere from deeper structure to pitching laydowns. I don't really flip much.

I throw my 3/8 oz jigs on 12# Berkley 100% floro on a mh rod.  Anything bigger or around thicker cover I usually throw on 15# P-Line C-XXX strong on a heavy action rod.  I'm like you and don't flip much either.  I've never used the Yozuri so I don't know how that would compare to these other lines.  I do like the sensitivity of the floro though.

I prefer a braid for jigs. It is sensitve but more important is using the right sized rod. 7' Heavy will make a big difference.

I say go big and go braid.

I'm all flourocarbon except for mono on topwater, and carolina-rig leaders. and a few other situations where say i wanna keep my spinnerbait, crankbait, jerkbait higher in the water column then ill use mono for that also. as far as line i use P-Line flourocarbon except for on my drop-shot setup ill go with trilene 100% flouro. and mono i stick with stren original (purple box)