Sign in to follow this  
jeosbo01

Break Free CLP

Has anyone used Break Free CLP to clean and lube their reels? I have a little left in a can (I use it to clean and lube handguns and LOVE it) and I have a couple of cheap reels that I want to clean and lube up for spring...any problems with it?

CLP is like Frank's Red Hot, I put that Stuff on everything. But if there isn't carbon or rust on it, it really doesn't have a purpose. Have you put WD40 on your reels before? If you did, did it work? If it did the CLP will work too.

I haven't used WD-40 on them either...I did clean a couple of UL Spinning reels with it and used them yesterday...worked GREAT! No I need to go get another can before I shoot again though...

IMO Break Free is not a good choice for reels. Neither is WD-40, at least if that's the only product you are using.

CLP means cleaner, lubricant, protectant. It's a great choice for guns in field when you can't carry more than one bottle of chemicals. But I think there are better cleaners, better lubricants, and better protectants. If I were you, I'd stick to lubricants intended for reels. Abu Garcia oil and grease is readily available, made for reels, and an are excellent products.

WD-40 is a great choice for cleaning parts, blowing old grease off gears, etc. But it is extremely low viscosity. It's not a good lubricant, it's a good solvent. Use it for cleaning, but not for lubricating.

You need three items: cleaner, grease, and oil. There is no such thing as a "3 in 1" product for reels.

Use Simple Green at full strength and hot water or cut your cleaning time in half with Birchwood Casey Reel Scrubber.

Grease is for gears, oil is for bearings, with the exception of worm drives - use oil there.