Sign in to follow this  
B75nweav

Finally found some Deep South Fishing Rods!!!!

I got one of their Lake Seminole Specials last weekend. I had heard alot about them but couldn't find them anywhere. Saw them in a tackle store here and just fell in love with them. Very strong, lighter than my crucial's and have alot of backbone!  ;):)

I've heard they use just as much graphite in their rods as a Loomis IMX, for 1/3 of the price.

I've also heard quality is top notch. Just a small company trying to make a name for themselves.

Haven't found any yet, but I've heard (verbal) by two locals that "these" are the rods to get. IMX sensitivity at a fraction of the cost. I also believe their is a lifetime warranty as well.

Only sold in GA and FL.

I've heard they use just as much graphite in their rods as a Loomis IMX, for 1/3 of the price.

I've also heard quality is top notch. Just a small company trying to make a name for themselves.

Haven't found any yet, but I've heard (verbal) by two locals that "these" are the rods to get. IMX sensitivity at a fraction of the cost. I also believe their is a lifetime warranty as well.

Only sold in GA and FL.

I would hope so.  Every rod that is 100% graphite uses as much graphite as Loomis  ....granted few blanks use a carbon scrim (which may be what they are claiming).  As far as the company; I'm sure they make a fine rod, and Loomis comparisons always garner attention.  However, like every other small manufacturer or builder....they aren't rolling their own blanks or anything.  Trying to guess the quality of their rods is as simply as asking which blanks they use.  If they won't say....it's a mediocre blank.  If it's a good blank...they will most likely specify (it's a selling point).  GBlanks has always specified what blanks he uses to build rods, because he uses higher quality blanks.  

Only sold in GA and FL.

I would hope so. Every rod that is 100% graphite uses as much graphite as Loomis ....granted few blanks use a carbon scrim (which may be what they are claiming). As far as the company; I'm sure they make a fine rod, and Loomis comparisons always garner attention. However, like every other small manufacturer or builder....they aren't rolling their own blanks or anything. Trying to guess the quality of their rods is as simply as asking which blanks they use. If they won't say....it's a mediocre blank. If it's a good blank...they will most likely specify (it's a selling point). GBlanks has always specified what blanks he uses to build rods, because he uses higher quality blanks.

I don't know.. that's what the locals have been saying that fish them. Don't ask me.. I know nothing about rod structure or anything. Just brand names..

Things are often compared to Loomis, because they set the standard in fishing with thier A) Quality and B) Price.

So I read the thread again... :-?...saw that it said that these rods are compaired to Loomis but half the price... :-?...so I googled deep south rods... :-?...and found this link www.deepsouthfishingrods.com ... :-?...only sold to retail tackle shops in FL and GA  $149 or less for a rod...hmmm

Some quick googles indicate that Deep South may be associated with the (former?) Fig Rig rods.  Fig Rig had (had) broader distribution, but I didn't find much positive about them.  Disclosure - only about 5 minutes of searches.  I became aware of Deep South rods from the BassMaster magazine.

I'm in GA so I've seen these rods at a local store.  I've handled them a little bit but never fished them.

They look OK, but nothing really stands out about them appearance or feel wise...