Sign in to follow this  
RobbyZ5001

Revo Winch

Is the 5.4:1 low enough for deep crankbaits? I am looking for a reel with versatility to use for mid depth to deep crankbaits. I was suggested to buy a 4.9:1 gear ration reel for deep cranks. It seems like the winch is the only one I can find for under $270 that is LH.

In my opinion that GR will work for both. I use a 5.1:1 Quantum....

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

I use two Daiwa Sols for all my cranking.  5.8:1 works fine for me.  I tried my buddy's Zillion Crazy Cranker, and I felt that it was just too slow.  I guess its because I'm used to all the old 5:1 "high speed" reels from the late 80s and 90s, LOL.

Yea 4.9:1 always felt to slow and sluggish to me, especially after using the old round reels in the 5.1:1 to 5.4:1 high speeds...LOL

Tight Lines!!!!  

Is the 5.4:1 low enough for deep crankbaits?

I think so.  But after you try it, if you don't think so- you can always short spool the reel by 20-30 yards and still have plenty of line and a lower effective ratio.   ;)

I have a Winch and think that 5.4 is perfect for deep cranking.  It is low enough that you don't wear yourself out all day but yet fast enough to take up line quickly if a fish comes straight towards the boat after hook up.

Look at line retrieve capabilities - IPT (inches per turn). Ratios can be misleading.

The Revo Winch (5.4:1) retrieves 20.6 inches of line per turn.

The Zillion High Power (4.9:1) retrieves 22 inches of line per turn.

The Daiwa Sol (5.8:1) retrieves 23.6 inches of line per turn.

All these reels are good cranking reels. IPTs in the low to mid 20s seems to be preferred for cranking.

My only knock against the Revo Winch is that they are not the best choice for light crankbaits. They will flat-out hurl a heavy DD22. But for cranks of 1/2 oz or under there are better choices.

For a good all-round cranking reel on a budget, I'd look hard for a Shimano Curado 200DPV in 5.0:1. It will cast light and heavy cranks well. There's still plenty new ones sitting around in stores. And they can be had brand new for under $80.