Sign in to follow this  
DINK WHISPERER

Double footed guides?????

Hey guys! I was wondering, what is the difference in rods with a lot of double footed guides and those with only a couple. I have some Falcon Cara T7 rods that only have the first guide from the reel seat up doubled. My Powells have 4-5 doubled. Will the lack of double footed guides make my Falcons weaker? How about sensitivity?

Double foot guides tend to make the rod stiffer/heavier IMO, especially rods that carry double foot guide's out past the choke guide or about 4-5 guides up from the tip.

All of the rods I have built over the years have used the double foot strip guide (first from reel), and whether or not they are spiraled or conventional wrapped all have single foot guides to the tiptop....

Will the lack of double footed guides make my Falcons weaker?
Nope...Probably make them crisper...
How about sensitivity?
Personally I don't worry about the guides being the sensitive part of the rod, IMO sensitivity is built into the rod blank (materials and taper) and in the reel seat/grip sections of the rod..

Tight Lines!!!  

Good to hear about the strength Reel Mech! I was told that it would not have a lot of backbone without double footed guides! So what is the purpose of some companies putting so many doubles?

Doubles are rarely necessary, most of my own rods even have a single as the butt guide. I've tested them to the point of breaking a test blank, just to see if they'd hold.

I was told that it would not have a lot of backbone without double footed guides!

Backbone is a blank quality, guides won't change it enough for 99.9% of people to notice.

As for why some companies use a bunch of doubles... 2 reasons- they look tougher, and take abuse better. (fewer warranty claims) Singles are fine for anything in bass fishing (except maybe a big, heavy swimbait rod) but they are bent/broken more easily when stepped on or thrown in a truck bed.

As for sensitivity, less weight, thread and finish on the blank will actually help felt sensitivity...  how much depends on a number of factors.

Doubles are rarely necessary, most of my own rods even have a single as the butt guide. I've tested them to the point of breaking a test blank, just to see if they'd hold.
I was told that it would not have a lot of backbone without double footed guides!

Backbone is a blank quality, guides won't change it enough for 99.9% of people to notice.

As for why some companies use a bunch of doubles... 2 reasons- they look tougher, and take abuse better. (fewer warranty claims) Singles are fine for anything in bass fishing (except maybe a big, heavy swimbait rod) but they are bent/broken more easily when stepped on or thrown in a truck bed.

As for sensitivity, less weight, thread and finish on the blank will actually help felt sensitivity... how much depends on a number of factors.

Reel Mech chimed in right away, i was wondering when you would get here, LOL! You are right about them looker tougher too! So my Falcons will be okay for fishing cover than with only one double? THANKS ALL