Sign in to follow this  
DeBassin619

what gear ratio?

Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up a reel that caught my gaze at a Hardware store. It came in both a 6:3:1 and a 7:1:1 (Baitcaster). I own alot of reels with slower gear ratios, for more heavier bait presentations and was wondering which would be a better all around ratio out of the two?

inches per turn control the retrieval speed not the ratio. I just reel faster or slower and never pay attention to ratio.

Well, I bought the 7:1:1 (BP Extreme) and thought it would be a great Jig reel. Considering I have never owned a faster reel such as this, was it a decent buy for the technique?

I've read mixed opinions from other boards about the two ratios and would like to know what kind presentations do you guys like to use with  higher speed reels?

Well, I bought the 7:1:1 (BP Extreme) and thought it would be a great Jig reel. Considering I have never owned a faster reel such as this, was it a decent buy for the technique?

I've read mixed opinions from other boards about the two ratios and would like to know what kind presentations do you guys like to use with higher speed reels?

I mainly fish high speed reels when I am fishing with slow techniques like Carolina rig, jig, and others.  The high speed reel is better because it allows you to pick the slack up quick so you set the hook quick and efficiently