Sign in to follow this  
ttufishinman

flourocarbon help

ive been wondering what is the best knot to tie when using flourocarbon? ive fished a deep clear lake the past 3 weekends and had a tournament and i used flourocarbon but it seemed like i broke off a lot. i was using a double palomar knot its just the one im quickest at. any tips?

I've never had problems with using palomer knots with Florocarbon. The one thing that I can think of is to make sure you lube the Floro before cinching your knot and to pull slowly because this type of line is more sensitive to heat & friction. If you are already careful with your knot tieing then it might be that you should consider switching to a different brand.

I was using a double palomar knot its just the one im quickest at. any tips?

I also use the Palomar knot with fluoro and have had no problems, but you have to tie it carefully since there is greater chance for line crossover which is a bad thing with fluoro. If you are truly tying a double Palomar, that could be your problem. Works well with braids and superlines but not fluoros. Go to a single Palomar.

Other than that, using a knot that doesn't have as much potential for crossover like a SanDiego jam knot or an improved clinch knot might be a better way to go for you.

-T9