Sign in to follow this  
boatcaptain

Hope I get use to reeling left handed!

I've read that some like to fish left handed baitcasters if their right handed because it keeps the rod in the same hand the whole time in case of a strike.  I bought a left handed citica to try it out, sure does feel weird.  I reel my spinning reels with my left, I don't know why a baitcaster feels so different.  I guess it has to grow on you.

I was reluctant to make the switch at first also, but having the rod in my strong hand and not switching hands after a cast was worth making myself get used to it.

i esp. love it when fishing bottom lures or lures that constantly get hit on the fall. t-rig, c-rig, senko. my spinning rig is left handed too of course and so drop shotting and shaky heading also.

really... i throw cast and retrieve lures -spinnerbaits,topwaters,cranks- right handed out of habit. at this point its just to give my left hand a break.

I tried to make the switch. I bought an old Shimano left-handed reel on eBay and played with it for a while and gave up. As you said, we crank left-handed with spinning gear so why is it hard to crank lefty on a BC reel?

Anyway, I gave up and still crank right-handed on my BC reels. Plus, since I have 7 right-handed BC reels, I've got that equipment investment to think of ...

I'm right handed, but a few years back I busted my right wrist, and now there's a plate screwed into it...what I find is that my wrist starts to bother me while cranking a reel. My solution was to buy left-handed baitcast reels.

Works for me   8-)

really comes in handy when flippin an pitchin, dont have ta swap hands back a fourth pitch after pitch. do ever thang else righty!

X2

i could not get used to it.the spinning reel has the handle down low and turns in a bigger circle where the baitcaster is up high and turns in a smaller circle.your hand is trained to the spinning rod which is why it feels odd.to me it's easier to switch hands when baitcasting.i never understood what the big deal is about switching hands.

Reeling with the right or left hand is the same to me. I went with Left hand reels because it just felt weird having the rod in my left hand...I felt like I was upside down trying to set the hook or hopping a jig with my left...

i dont even think i could set a hook with my left hand. just thinking about it is..... mind boggling.

i could not get used to it.the spinning reel has the handle down low and turns in a bigger circle where the baitcaster is up high and turns in a smaller circle.your hand is trained to the spinning rod which is why it feels odd.to me it's easier to switch hands when baitcasting.i never understood what the big deal is about switching hands.

Unless all the pro's who make their living fishing are left handed, it must not matter.

The only ones I can say for sure, KVD, S/R, Ike all switch hands after the cast. I would guess others do too.

KVD is the model of efficiency. If he has the time to switch so do I.

its all about comfort... if you don't feel comfortable using your left hand don't...  I feel totally in control cranking my spinning and baitcasting reels with my left so that is what I do...    I have used some friends RH stuff at times and it just feels weird.. 

so do what you are comfortable with and don't change anything if you don't have to..

Been thinking and still thinking of buying one left hand reel for Flipping.It does make sense.

Everything else i still make the switch-a-roo.Doesn't bother me one bit.I have yet to miss a bite because of switching.

It just feels right correct to me to hold the rod in my power hand. I have better control of the rod and the fish. It didn't hurt that the first baitcaster I ever used was an old LH Shimano. Having learned that way, when I use a RH reel it feels awkward to me. I don't think it makes much difference though; use what works for you. If that LH reel doesn't work out, send it do me and I'll put it to good use for you. :)

Here's a thought.  Teach yourself to pitch with your left hand so your reels are all righties.  It's not that hard.  I am very right hand dominated, can't even eat with my left but I learned to pitch left handed.  You have 2 1/2 months left to practice.  Try it.

Maybe ill get shot but here goes. I reel baitcasters and spinning reels with my right hand. Always have, probably always will. Why is it traditional to retrieve a spinning reel with the left hand and baitcaster with the right? I always manually trip the bail on my spinning reel after a cast and my right thumb has gotten pretty good at finding its way into the bottom lip of those bass  ;D Should i even bother to switch to lefty on my spinning reels?

Why is it traditional to retrieve a spinning reel with the left hand and baitcaster with the right?

Because a ways back, just about all (or perhaps all) spinning reels had cranks on the left side - there were no reversable handle reels - I think that probably started in the late 70s or so. Same with baitcasters, I don't recall a whole lot of BC reels with cranks on the left way back when - they were just about all "right handed" (right cranking) reels. So, that's where the "tradition" comes from ...

Here's my take on this..If your a righty, and cast with your right hand, why make the switch to your left to crank..? For me, it's So much easier to cast, the with my left reach for the reel to crank instead of changing hands.. :)  Plus, I have more motor skills in my right, so I'm able to work my rod mush better.

BTW, I tried a right handed baitcaster...needless to say..I was Lost! ;D

To each his own.. ;)

It just feels right correct to me to hold the rod in my power hand. I have better control of the rod and the fish. It didn't hurt that the first baitcaster I ever used was an old LH Shimano. Having learned that way, when I use a RH reel it feels awkward to me. I don't think it makes much difference though; use what works for you. If that LH reel doesn't work out, send it do me and I'll put it to good use for you. :)

x2. It's not about time as much as it is about having the rod in your dominant hand for better hooksets. That's why I use left hand retrieves.

When I purchased my first baitcaster it was a right handed model and it felt awkward using it when all my spinning reels I use I reel in left handed and hold the rod in my right. I sold it and now all my Baitcasters are left handed. It works for me just fine and I guess starting to fish as more left handed models come onto the market is a good thing.

This is one topic where there may not be an absolute answer, I'll stick out by saying I use both. I'm righthanded and I prefer lefthanded reels for soft plastics and jig fishing, I like my stronger and more coordinated hand on the rod when utilizing these techniques. I use RH reels for spinners & cranks, for whatever reason this system works for me but I imagine it would seem awkward to some.

I am right handed and can only use a left handed bait caster. Years ago when I bought my first baitcaster it was right handed and totally uncomfortable. I was never able to adjust. Thank goodness for the left handed caster. I wish companies would make all their models in a left handed version b/c it does limit your choices. I exclusively use Abu Garcia Revolution S baitcasters in left handed, they are great.

It definately is a time and effort saver to crank with the opposite casting arm and adds up to more time in the strike zone by the days end.  Less movement is ergonomic.

I think I read that casting reels having originally been made by watch makers in the early 1800s were cast one hand and the reel flipped over and cranked with the opposite hand.  They did not have braking or ratchets.

You can do it.  I have been using left handed Casting Reels since the '70s just to pick up that little bit of efficiency, Abu Garcia XLT and XLT Plus and 6500 all lefties.