Sign in to follow this  
JigMe

New Rod/reel

Shimano® Curado® E, with Shimano® Crucial® Trigger Rods. Would you guys consider this setup if I would fish with only 1 rod?

Looking to spent 300-350 bucks in total for a setup. If not, how would guys spent the money?

Both the Curado and Crucial are excellent.  Are you looking for an all-around set up? 

Hi Micro,

Yes, I am. This set up is for my dad, I am trying to get him out of the house and enjoy the nature. Ever since he retired, he just sit around at home and watch TV all day. Doctor told him, he needs to go out more, so I tho about taken him out for fishing.

what about this setup?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205078_100003001_100000000_100003000_100-3-1

I have the Curado E5/Crucial set up now.  Love it, the IM9 is really lights out when it comes to quality and sensitivity!  Also, I can not say enough positive things about the Curado!  I can cast a 6" weightless Fluke about 50', to moon shots with a rattle trap.

Curado is a good choice. The bps extrem rods are nice, I had one. However I would spring for the Crucial..lifetime warranty, plus the rods aren't bad either.. ;)

bps rods are not covered with life time warranty right?

Nope, 1 yr. warranty, If you keep the reciept..mine broke..so I speak from experience..was my fault it broke though.

I recommend the Shimano Curado E7 you mentioned strapped to a St. Croix Avid ;)

how do you get the "registered" symbols to appear in your post?

I have an E7 on a Crucial 6'6" MH/F rod. Nice set-up for $300 IMHO. I got the rod at ***, and the reel from Great Bay Tackle, and ebay store for $150 shipped.

if nothing else, it's a handsome piece of kit ;D

curado004.jpg

Shimano® Curado® E, with Shimano® Crucial® Trigger Rods

Copy and paste.

Lee that should be a great setup for your dad. Good rod and reel for all situations

I'd look at putting that curado on one of the new Dobyns Savvy Series rods. You can pick up a e7 from virgona outdoors for around 150 and then pick up one of Dobyns Savvy rods for around the same price.

should I get a 6"6 M or 7"MH? He would probably be fishing out of a local lake, which length would work better for all around rod?

Nope, 1 yr. warranty, If you keep the reciept..mine broke..so I speak from experience..was my fault it broke though.

How do you like the bps rods compare to shimano?

This is to be your Dad's only rod?  Has he fished before?  Has he used a baitcaster?  To put a baitcaster in the hands of a beginner could sour his taste towards 'getting out' quickly.  The learning curve would be much more pleasant with a spinning reel and may better serve your goal.

He has few old rods and reels, but I don't think they even work anymore. He used to fish in the 80's, so baitcaster is not new to him.