Sign in to follow this  
steezy

Bass University thoughts - new attitude about rods, med heavy & heavy worth considering

After attending one of the Bass University seminars hosted by Mike Iaconelli and several other pros, I will only buy Med Heavy and Heavy rods in the future. The only exception will be a Med spinning rod for weightless finess fishing plastics.

BTW, it was a very good learning experience and well worth the cost of the 2 day class. All the pros were very friendly and very willing to talk one on one, take pictures, sign autographs and show you their equipment.

Also, I asked Mike Iaconelli about the Daiwa sponsor issue and his only comment was," I don't know whats going on but things are different at Daiwa now".

Well since nobody has asked yet.....Why?

Well since nobody has asked yet.....Why?

Based upon instruction of more successful techniques and more aggressive fishing, hooksets and landing the fish.

It's still not something that will apply universally.

I just don't have any use for a H rod up here, given the cover and size of largemouth up here.

Dont think I would change my tackle for the way a "Pro" Fishes.  Find a way to present a lure or technique so that you are comfortable doing it.

I would have little use for a Hvy other than flippin.  I think too, Heavier Power gets confused with Action or rod speed.

Take:

Med Power Fast Action Baitcast.

Med Power Mod Action Baitcast.

Med light Power Fast Action Spinning.

I could take those three rods and be happy Bass fishing.

Add:

Ultra light Power Mod Action Spinning.

I have My fishing covered.

Other than spinning rods and my light cover cranking rods, I've lived by that practice for a few years.

Were you able to read between the lines of his Daiwa comment?

Mike Iaconelli also had the daiwa logo on his shirt covered with tape and he never said the word "daiwa".  I kinda got the feeling that no love was lost there.

Ish Monroe on the other hand, spoke a lot about his daiwa steez rods and zillion reels and passed them around for everyone to see, of course  Ish still has a contract with daiwa.

I was also at the recent Bass University in Dallas. Absolutely a great experience that I recommend for anyone that's interested in bass fishing. None of the pros specifically said "you should only use medium heavy, heavy or extra heavy rods," but you could definately see the advantages of using such rods for the multiple presentations they described, and they covered A LOT of presentations.

My take on it is that with the exceptional sensitivity and light weight of newer rods on the market (also higher quality for cheaper), there is definately the need for heavier rods when money is on the line. Think about why you use heavier rod actions: it gives you more leverage and power over the fish which is especially needed for heavy cover, and also just for getting the fish to the boat before they have the chance to throw your hook.

So what WERE the disadvantages of heavier action rods?

-Heavy overall rod weights

-Less sensitivity

These things aren't a problem anymore. Rod manufacturers are developing extremely light, sensitive rods that still have the stiff action and strength of heavier action rods.

Even throwing crankbaits and other treble hook baits, you can get away with a mh glass rod with its parabolic bend that absorbs shock of a fish eating your bait.

So what am I trying to say? These pros are all using the absolute nicest, newest rods on the market (some that aren't even available yet, check out what ike is using at the classic  :D ). So it's kind of hard to justify using a Medium power or less rod for anything other than spinning techniques, because all that's doing is giving the fish more of a chance to get off.

Also, you may think it's dumb to go out and change to different rod actions because the pros do, but don't you want to be using the best possible gear that the best fisherman in the world are using because they have had more experience with trial and error than anyone else fishing?

Dont think I would change my tackle for the way a "Pro" Fishes. Find a way to present a lure or technique so that you are comfortable doing it.

I would have little use for a Hvy other than flippin. I think too, Heavier Power gets confused with Action or rod speed.

Take:

Add:

you'd never be able to use heavy jigs, spinnerbaits, swimbaits etc.

unless you throw 3/5oz jigs on your medium rod, if so more power too ya.  :D

now all you need is to buy some big boy sticks...no more of those midget rods.

Were you able to read between the lines of his Daiwa comment?

Hay, Gone Phishin I sent you a PM on them seminars.

What he recommend for wading one of my favorite Smallmouth creeks where a good average fish is about a pounder? A flippin' stick?

There isn't some universal Bass fishing scenario where only one (or two) types of techniques work. Limiting yourself to only Med/Heavy and Heavy rod is a silly as someone only using Light and Med/Light. Remember he's talking about HIS tournament fishing not what you may be doing.

now all you need is to buy some big boy sticks...no more of those midget rods.

I switched to all 7' or longer casting rods about 6 months ago except for 1 6'6" spinning rod.

Now here is a question?

G. Loomis BCR 803 MHXF 12-16 lb line

Fenwick HMG MH 12-25LB line

Fenwick HMG M 8-20lb line

Which one is the MH and which one is the M? :D

Dont think I would change my tackle for the way a "Pro" Fishes. Find a way to present a lure or technique so that you are comfortable doing it.

I would have little use for a Hvy other than flippin. I think too, Heavier Power gets confused with Action or rod speed.

Take:

Add:

you'd never be able to use heavy jigs, spinnerbaits, swimbaits etc.

unless you throw 3/5oz jigs on your medium rod, if so more power too ya. :)

I think You missed the last line in what I  wrote.

I have My fishing covered:D

if my paycheck depended on whether or not i land a fish, then i might stick with med heavy and heavy.

i fish for fun. making a 2lb fish water ski to the boat at 20mph on a broomstick is not fun for me.

i live in northern va. a 4lb largemouth is big here. ill stick with my med light and medium for most presentations. med heavy for most jig fishing.

when the cover or conditions call for my only heavy rod, ill get her out.

if you live in CA, FL, TX or Mexico, MH and H might be the norm

So what am I trying to say? These pros are all using the absolute nicest, newest rods on the market (some that aren't even available yet, check out what ike is using at the classic :) ). So it's kind of hard to justify using a Medium power or less rod for anything other than spinning techniques, because all that's doing is giving the fish more of a chance to get off.

Also, you may think it's dumb to go out and change to different rod actions because the pros do, but don't you want to be using the best possible gear that the best fisherman in the world are using because they have had more experience with trial and error than anyone else fishing?

These guys fish for a living.  They are fishing for "Active" bass in a timed enviroment. They are looking for a limit of keeper bass quickly.  The heavier tackle makes moving a fish quickly easier provided its hooked. Those guys dont "play" a fish.  They hook it and reel it in.

As far as using the nicest tackle.  Not necessarily.  They are the ultimate field testers for the manufactures that sponsor them.  The tackle they use has to withstand the use.  They can put more abuse to a reel in a day than you or I will in a year.  It benefits the manufacture in a letting them see what a product will withstand before a mass release.

You can't tell me that it takes Heavy tackle to catch 3 lb fish.  :D

My biggest point is that what works for their Job is not how I want to enjoy my hobby.  Or to each his Own.   

Right....I understand that using lighter action rods is necessary when fishing for fun.

As for people with money on the line....USE HEAVIER ACTION RODS  :D

This thread got me thinking as to what one rod Rick Clunn fished with. It was a heavy power rod. I fish M and MH and my Medium powers are not for sale. 8-)

When bass fishing all of my rods are MH or H.  This is mainly do to me being comfortable with these type rods.  I pitch most of the time and do it to lots of cypress trees and grass.  Power is important in these situations.

When I fish inshore saltwater I use a medium light and a light.  I like the lighter power for casting small lures long distances and I enjoy fighting these fish on lighter tackle.

if my paycheck depended on whether or not i land a fish, then i might stick with med heavy and heavy.

i fish for fun. making a 2lb fish water ski to the boat at 20mph on a broomstick is not fun for me.

i live in northern va. a 4lb largemouth is big here. ill stick with my med light and medium for most presentations. med heavy for most jig fishing.

when the cover or conditions call for my only heavy rod, ill get her out.

if you live in CA, FL, TX or Mexico, MH and H might be the norm

Oh I absolutely love dropping the hammer on a jig fish! My fishing is usually done by pitching 50% of the time and I love slammen a good one. When you see the line move towards you and never feel a tap it's going to be a good one! There nothing like the reel down and that big swing, then that rod tip bends over like crazyand loads up! You got a one sec window where that fish is like and you better get it moving out away from cover. Just talking about it sends shivers down my spine. You also need a stiff rod for deep hooksets but length is more important when fishing deep IMHO.

Why not have your cake and eat it too.

Heavy action AND light action

;D ;D ;D

https://www.instantfisherman.com/ver1/index.asp?refcode=Fisher1

funny you mention those , was at the bass pro shops in Las Vegas and was talking to a gentleman there who said some lady caught a 50 or so lb. striper on one of those ( at lake mead) (actually the "pocket fisherman") ;D ;D ;D