Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

A good sturdy cheapo spinning combo

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to our daughter's in GA for a week of fishing.  There is a small/tiny pond of maybe five acres tops that does hold largemouth bass. 

Last year during the week of Thanksgiving, I caught a half dozen or so, the largest being 4.5 pounds.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of inexpensive spinning combos to give her, so that when she and her significant other are inclined, they can paddle around in her Basshunter and do some fishing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.  If there is anything decent for casual fishing around fifty bucks, that would be great.

Some of the Pflueger spinning combos are pretty decent, entry level combo would be featuring a trion reel.

BPS, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain always have good deals on combos. Shimano and Quantum have some entry level combos that are decent in that price range. 8-)

Also check their clearence and bargin bins.

I picked up the Pflueger Trion GX-7 and rod combo from BPS for $60. I had it out on the lake last weekend and it worked great.. the bass were still in the winter hibernation mode and not eating anything but the rod even when hung up in the grass worked great. I would suggest 30lb Power Pro green braid or 10lb Pline CX or CXX on it.

rod/reel combo - LINK

ladies pink rod/reel combo - LINK

I have two 6' light power Browning Stalker combos that I bought on sale for less than $50 each (reg. $59) that I use for pan fish. I have used them for drop shot a couple of times and they have plenty of power for bass in open water.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98339_100003002_100000000_100003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

The above Pflueger Trion combo would be worth checking out. The reel gets good reviews. I have a couple of Presidents that I really like.

Try the Abu Garcia Cardinal combo. Had one of these and loved it. Still use the reel, but got a better rod for it since I broke the tip of mine. Great spinning combo that has served me well.