Sign in to follow this  
SmokeRise1

Berkley reel grease and oil

Are these good products to use for maintaining a baitcast reel or should I look to get something from Shimano, Abu Garcia or another manufacturer?

First thought is that's like asking what is the best line.

Seriously, I think they're fine. I use a gun oil in my reels, Breakfree CLP, because it stays thin down to -40F, is biodegradeable, of course the primary reason was the bottle was already sitting in the shop; I'll strip a reel if it doesn't feel right during an outing.

I was having problems with casting distance using other oils once the temp got below 50F, the Breakfree made it cast like summer time again.

The main idea is keep them clean, and lubricated, whatever you choose to use.

http://www.break-free.com/products/products_breakfreeclp.asp?catalog=civil

Btw, in researching, the Berkley grease is white lithium grease, one of the best, and the oil is a silicote oil, the same as Abu Garcia oil. They're fine.

Never used the grease, but the silicote oil breaks down with moderate use.

What reel are you servicing and what's the application?

In my travels, these are a few lubes I like:

Cal's

Shimano Star Drag Grease

Rocket Fuel Yellow Label

Shimano Bantam Oil

TD-Z Oil

Reel Mech Grease and Oils

Shimano Permalub

Superlube

A sweet mix for cold temp grease applications is Permalub mixed with a bit of Bantam oil.  Keeps spinning reels running smooth and easy down to about 5° F in my informal testing.

I have a couple of BPS reels that are clean and in great shape.  I just want to do what I can to keep them that way.  I don't fish in temps below 50 so that shouldn't be an issue.  I'll try the Berkley out, since I have it already for my spinning gear, and if it doesn't feel right I'll switch to one of these other products.

P.S. What is the best line?

Are these good products to use for maintaining a baitcast reel or should I look to get something from Shimano, Abu Garcia or another manufacturer?

What you use as long as it is made for reels is personal preferences, but the amounts you use are the important point...

"Less is best", 1 drop quality oil used for each bearing pack, quality GEAR grease for gears only and applied with enough pressure to force it down into the teeth, never just applied ontop...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

"P.S. What is the best line? "

lol, the line you have confidence in.

With that said, I fish the Arkansas river a lot. Rock jetties, and who knows what else that will wear out a line. I use the Trilene BigGame spool, 10 or 12lb. I use Abu round reels holding 200 yards, so I use 100 yards of braid for backing and change out the top 100 yds of BigGame. Fishing mostly plastics and jigs, the river hardly ever clears up, murky most of the time, whether muddy or green. Line probably doesn't matter.

I go trout fishing about once a month, I use Trilene XL in 4 or 6lb test on my spinning reels.