Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Steez 103HLA

How will the Steez 103HLA handle casting and pitching lighter baits, such as wacky rigged plastics and t-rigs down to 1/8 bullet weight on a 6 inch worm? It will likely be paired with a Dobyns DX742 medium action rod with 12lb flourocarbon. I was set on getting a Core 51MG with these apps, but I just like the feel of Daiwa reels better and now I'm considering spending the extra $ and going for the Steez. Will it handle these lighter presentations as well as the Core 50 would? What do you guys think?

With a 1/8 oz bullet weight and a 6" worm, the Steez is going to do beautifully.  Stock vs. stock, I like the Core 51MG7 better for the lighter stuff, but the Steez is a heck of a nice reel and will handle that type of bait.  Weightless worms and smaller flukes I like the Core better however.

Which of the two feels more powerful?

That's kinda like asking which rod feels more sensitive. ;D  I think it's a very subjective issue, but if I had a fish in some nasty stuff, I'd rather have the Core in my hands.  To me it feels more powerful than the Steez.  I'm by no means bashing the Steez - it's a phenomonal reel. 8-)

The smoothness of the Steez often makes people feel it's less powerful/durable but don't be fooled. It can equally match the core 50 on everything except brackish/salt water. The Steez is freshwater only, the core 50 is a light/smooth reel and thats why I keep 1 core 50 along with all my Steez.

Thanks for the help guys. I suppose the smarter thing to do would be to go with the Core and put the $100 toward the rod I'm going to pair it with. I just wish the Core 50 had a brass main gear rather than aluminum, not that the Steez does.