Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Need some advice on a rod

So my 6'6" cabelas prodigy rod came with a guide problem. After thinking about it I realized i could use a rod  for pitching jigs/plastics in and around docks and pads. I thought i could use this chance to get a longer and heavier rod in exchange for this one. The best available in the prodigy is the 7' H. I have read everywhere that a 7'6" is recommended but I dont fish in too much cover. Could i get away with it and not really tell the difference?

Thanks,

VC

Vinny a 7'6" rod is better for flipping. Pitching is a different animal. You will normally pitch a bit farther then flipping and will want more accuracy. Unless you are a tall guy you will want a 7' rod. I like a heavy Power rod myself but a MH Power will work also.

A 7ft MH rod will work just fine. As a matter, I ditched my flipping rod (7-6 H); and I was using a 7-0 MH for the last couple of years with better results (more accuracy). Have to mention that I pitch mostly to vegetation, which is not as heavy as in the southern part of the country.

I am experimenting now with a 7-6 MH mod-fast St Croix Avid; I like it so far ,but I am not as accurate and "quite" as with a 7'-er. I am 6'-03" tall, so the extra lenght doesn't bother me.

Hope it helps...