Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone tried there new low profile baitcasters?

I was hoping someone had some information. I get one from *** to test out this coming week for 7 days. Will tell ya'll what I think. Will also be getting the Revo SX.  The battle will begin on tuesday.

I've never fished one but my buddies dad has a Serrano and it is an intersting reel.  It's really small and palms well.  I made a few yard casts with it and it's definately a well built reel and casts very easily.  I realy liked it and would give it a try.

Big Al likes to fish light weight reels, and seemed to like the new Okuma. He is a very nice guy. I'm sure he would reply to any questions you have. He has helped me before.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50985

Wayne Knabe in Powhatan, Virginia, who srvices, repairs and modifies rods and reels, told me yesterday that the Okuma is an excellent reel.

In fact, he said it has some features that are better than a Shimano reel.

I have never fished an Okuma but if Wayne gives this brand his approval it has to be good.  :)

those reels have ABEC 5 bearings and the reel has a 3 year warranty !!!! just wish they came in black and had them in a left hand retrieve and i would of got one or two already ........

just checked there site, left hand models come out in august.  TW is sending me a Serrano to test out. will tell you what i think after a week.

This is Big Al and Yes, I have 2 Serranos. They are excellent reels. They cast smooth and the drag is top notch. I would put them up there with a Curado and Fuego. My only complaint is the small knobs which is what TT said in their review. I'm getting used to them though. One thing about the brake adjustment. There are settings on the spool numbered 2,4,6,8, and there is a notch that it sets in when you adjust the braking. TT review said there are 8 settings but actually there are 4 settings. The notches are at the 2,4,6,and 8 settings. There are no odd number settings, hence 4 positions. I also recieved my $30 rebates already. Bought mine from an E Bay store for $139. I actually bought the Cayenne but the seller sent me a Serrano and told me to keep it rather than sending it back. Good deal! I believe the Cayenne is selling under $100 right now. I don't think you'll find a better reel at its price point.

I own 2 of the Okuma Virage bait casters have had nothing but good luck with them.

Would you choose the Serrano over the Revo SX if you could get them at the same price???

Would you choose the Serrano over the Revo SX if you could get them at the same price???

If the serrano is a great reel, with reel service then why not? I dont care who makes a reel, if I can fish it and it preforms, thats all I care about.

I had 2 Revo SX's a couple of years ago and could not get used to the quick spool. I had a lot of overruns. If you like the Revo SX, then I would stick with them. IMHO. They are both good reels. The Revos are very well built reels.

So I spent the week testing both reels.

Conclusion:

Abu: good- smooth reeling, great handles, color

bad- not able to switch baits easily, have hard time changing breaks all the time

Okuma: good- smooth casting, less need to adjust brakes when changing lures.

bad- color, reel handles are small

Winner: Okuma is the winner, but mainly because I switch baits on each reel all the time. Oh Yea and they responded to every email I sent and their customer service rocks. Even though they are out of Japan their American staff gave me cell phone numbers of people that had every answer I needed.

Abu never responded to a single email or phone call

I have not used the low profiles reels but I do have an induron 400. After one year of fishing big baits on it the drive gear and the pinion gear are skipping. So far the only reels for me that have with stood the abuse of big baits are a shimano (calcutta, cardiff) and Abu (C3) . I plan on sending it in. I have their guide select rods which have been great. Broke one last year and Okuma was supper easy to deal with. $15 for shipping and a week and a half later I had a new rod. They have excellent customer service.