Sign in to follow this  
bigredxlt

Carrot Stix?

So more or less on a whim I bought one of those bright orange carrot stix the other night from basspro when they had one of those free shipping deals. It wasnt too pricey and I had heard good things about it.

My question is whats the general consensus about these carrot stix? I got the 6'6" in medium power because I heard these run a little stiff.

Big Red

I have 3 casting rods paired with Revos and love them. Very light and comfortable - I can power fish all day with these. 6'6 MH for buzzbaits/spinnerbaits, 6'9 M for crankin, and 7'6 for flippin. They are stiffer if you're comparing to graphite rods. I can't say much about their sensitivity, but then again, I'm not throwing shaky heads or senkos on them either.

Your 6'6 M will be good for crankbaits. You won't need to "set the hook" on 1/4 oz cranks with this rod - just hold steady with a small sweep; otherwise, you'll pull it right out of their mouth. 3/8+ oz cranks - you can sweep a little harder. Good luck!

I have two Carrot Stixs.  One 7'6" model for flipping and one 6'9" model (I think) for dropshotting.  I love them both because both are extremely lightweight which you definitly need for flipping if you are going to do it all day and sensitive which you definitly need for dropshotting.  You made the right choice in getting them.  They will do you good.

Now there is nothing wrong with them. When they first came out there was some problems with there breaking and then you had the whole Boyd Duckett Issue.

But every thing I heard about the new rods has been great.

I've had 4 Carrot Stix, 3 Gold and 1 LTX.  I sold the LTX but still have the three Golds, great "moving bait" rods IMO.  I like the Carrot Stix, had some trouble with the guides on my first one but the newer ones seem better.  Never broke one.  The colors may be a little much for some but stick a Sol or Amber Orange Pixy on a Gold and it's like they're made for each other.