Sign in to follow this  
FL_Sharpshooter

Mono to Braided Line Conversion?

Ok, the problem I'm having is what # of line I should be spooling my reel up with.  My reel (spinning) says the maximum capacity is 230 Yds, 12 Lbs - I guess that means in size monofilament?  What size of braided line should I be using on this thing?  Thanks for any help ;).

20# braid works well with spinning.

[movedhere] Fishing Tackle [move by] five.bass.limit.

20# braid works well with spinning.

x2

That's kind of odd, that's the main reason why I was asking. I have 20# powerpro braided line on it now. For some reason the line isn't releasing like it should. It's sticking to the reel, which makes it impossible for me to flip and pitch. I've only had the line on for around 2 months as well. It didn't use to be like that.  What else would cause this?

1. Is the reel full to within 1/8" of the spool lip?

2. You may be experiencing line dig-in due to lack of tension during retrieve. A larger diameter superline will help with that. I find a 8# mono equivelent diameter to be the minimum for best performance for slack line presentations.

3. Use a line lubricant such as KVD.

1. Is the reel full to within 1/8" of the spool lip?

2. You may be experiencing line dig-in due to lack of tension during retrieve. A larger diameter superline will help with that. I find a 8# mono equivelent diameter to be the minimum for best performance for slack line presentations.

3. Use a line lubricant such as KVD.

1. Looks like its about 3/16"

2. I generally keep my line tight, I mainly use it for a lot of jig fishing, but use it for everything. Possibly the line isn't getting wrapped around tight enough around the spool when I'm using it for top water? Its sounding like the line digging in might be what the problem is.

3. I was thinking about that, but was unsure of what brand to stick with. I only saw "Real Magic Line Lubricant" at the Wal-mart I was at.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Did you backspool with mono or is it all braid on the spool?  Backspooling with mono or using something like electrical tape to give the line some traction is crucial for using braid on spinning gear.

Did you backspool with mono or is it all braid on the spool? Backspooling with mono or using something like electrical tape to give the line some traction is crucial for using braid on spinning gear.

I spooled it only with 150yds of 20# Power Pro.  Should I un-spool it and tie on some mono?  I didn't think it would make that big of a difference?

Did you backspool with mono or is it all braid on the spool? Backspooling with mono or using something like electrical tape to give the line some traction is crucial for using braid on spinning gear.

I spooled it only with 150yds of 20# Power Pro. Should I un-spool it and tie on some mono? I didn't think it would make that big of a difference?

I always backspool at least a little bit just to give the braid a solid base. I find that if I tie braid directly to a smooth spool with braid it will eventually break tension and the mass of line will just be "free floating" on the spool so the spool may turn but the line doesn't move. It is also nice because mono is cheap and braid is not so cheap. My spools of braid go farther if I use backing. If your just against using any backing you can put a single layer of electrical tape on the spool before you spool up. Some of the newer spinning reels have enough grooving on the spool itself that it doesn't necessarily matter because the braid probably won't slip anyway.

With all that said... After rereading your problem again I think it does sound like your braid is just digging in. You could probably fix it by going up a little bit from 20#, but some of that just goes with the territory.

I spooled it only with 150yds of 20# Power Pro. Should I un-spool it and tie on some mono? I didn't think it would make that big of a difference?

I always backspool at least a little bit just to give the braid a solid base. I find that if I tie braid directly to a smooth spool with braid it will eventually break tension and the mass of line will just be "free floating" on the spool so the spool may turn but the line doesn't move. It is also nice because mono is cheap and braid is not so cheap. My spools of braid go farther if I use backing. If your just against using any backing you can put a single layer of electrical tape on the spool before you spool up. Some of the newer spinning reels have enough grooving on the spool itself that it doesn't necessarily matter because the braid probably won't slip anyway.

With all that said... After rereading your problem again I think it does sound like your braid is just digging in. You could probably fix it by going up a little bit from 20#, but some of that just goes with the territory.

Thanks for the help, sir! I went out to wal-mart just earlier today and picked up some PP 50# braid along with some 12# mono line. Whats the standard ft/yd to add as a backspool? Keep in mind my reel supports 230yds, and the braid I picked up is 150yds. I'm not against backspooling, if it works, then it works, which is the main thing I'm trying to do here. Thanks for all of your help.

EDIT: Well, I just popped open the cover of my spinning reel to see if anything needs to be greased, and was amazed at what I found.  On the inside of the reel there was mono line wrapped all around the shaft, which causes more resistance and doesn't allow the reel to spin as fast.  Somehow some dummy got string inside that.  I'm still going to string it with 50# PP though.

After reading your original question and all the responses I see you only had 150-yards of 20-pound PowerPro on that reel? If it hold 200+ yards of 12pound diameter mono, it must have only had the spool half full. I think that's your problem, as I have 10-pound Spiderwire (2-pound test diameter) on a couple of spinning reels and it doesn't dig in.

Quick and easy way to make sure your spool is fully filled (and save on line):

Fill the reel full the the lip of the spool with mono (I use cheap Sigma from Walmart) then go outside and and tie the line to a tree, mailbox, hitch on your truck -whatever. The open the bail and walk off what would be longer than your longest cast - 50-yards or so for most folks. Cut the mono off at that point and tie the Superline to the mono on your spool and fill it back to the lip. You're done, and then you have enough to do two reels, or re-fill the same one when you need to.

After reading your original question and all the responses I see you only had 150-yards of 20-pound PowerPro on that reel? If it hold 200+ yards of 12pound diameter mono, it must have only had the spool half full. I think that's your problem, as I have 10-pound Spiderwire (2-pound test diameter) on a couple of spinning reels and it doesn't dig in.

Fill the reel full the the lip of the spool with mono (I use cheap Sigma from Walmart) then go outside and and tie the line to a tree, mailbox, hitch on your truck -whatever. The open the bail and walk off what would be longer than your longest cast - 50-yards or so for most folks. Cut the mono off at that point and tie the Superline to the mono on your spool and fill it back to the lip. You're done, and then you have enough to do two reels, or re-fill the same one when you need to.

That's the system I use, bass don't make long runs. Just don't have your dogs out playing in the yard when you have your line out! ;)

I found the problem last night when I dissected the reel.  I found a pretty long string all wrapped around the shaft of the inside of the reel, which restricted it from moving.  I think what happened, was that I had a backlash of string a long while back that got caught inside the reel and broke off.  While I had the reel apart, I also lubricated it.  Afterwards, I spooled it up with some mono first for a couple of layers, then put on all of the braided line (now 50#).  Ever since I did that, it's casting like a champ.  Thanks for trying to help as well though.

Yes, but a spinning reel's spool isn't supposed to move during the cast - it's supposed to be rock solid still. So something else was the issue. Sure, the line wrapped up internally is an issue - and a big one - but it wouldn't stop your line from coming off smoothly on the cast. The weight of the lure pulls the line from the spool during the cast, and only an issue with the line itself would be the culprit with that.

If it seems fixed, I guess you're happy at any rate.

Ah, you're right, I guess I really didn't think of that. It would only have effect if I was reeling the line in. Maybe it was just a simple case of the line digging in then? At any rate, ever since I added that backspool mono with 50# braid this time, its been perfect.

Well, at any rate, it's working for you now. ;D

you could have solved all your problems with 20 or 30 pound fireline braid.neither one digs in on spinning gear.

firelinebraid.jpg

Glad to hear your problem was solved.  Sorry I didn't check back sooner, but as far as the amount of backing goes you really can't mess up... You could do it for as little as one "layer" or all the way up till you are ready for a 60yd Top shot.  It is all about those first few wraps to give you a good anchor.... Tight Lines!!