Sign in to follow this  
kwr73

Christmas is coming...

... gonna buy myself a new rod for an early gift. Looking to upgrade from a Shimano Clarus spinning rod. Suggestions for an awesome spinning rod in the price range of $100-$150. Thanks in advance!

I love my 6'8" M/XF Powell Max rod. I got it paired with a  Daiwa Fuego 2000 spinning reel and 6 pound P-line fluorocarbon line. By far my favorite set up!.

This is such an opinion based question that you are going so many different suggestions. I recommend just going into a store and just seeing what feels right in your hand. Make sure to at least think about a St. Croix Avid, they are amazing rods in a slightly higher price range.

I love my 6'8" M/XF Powell Max rod. I got it paired with a Daiwa Fuego 2000 spinning reel and 6 pound P-line fluorocarbon line. By far my favorite set up!.

I love my 7'3" M/XF Powell Max spinning. I have a Shimano Sonora on it spooled with 6 lb diameter Samurai braid. My soft plastics and jig rod, and by far my favorite set up as well ;)

Do check out the Powell Max series along with the Avids.

as mentioned rods are such an individual thing. I use Powells for the most part. However Ive recently been using the Abu Garcia Veritas rods($99). They also have the Verdict due out any time and they are even lighter and have the adjustable butt handle($139 I think). Just go into the shop and try a bunch out. Either take a reel or borrow one from the shop so you can get a feel for it. I prefer my own reel so I can line the rod and check the action. Not all actions are created equal. ;)

I'll shamelessly plug the St.Croix Avid and the SHIMANO Crucial.

If you look around the net a bit, you can find Daiwa Cielo 6'3" dropshot rods and Cielo 6'6" MHF Worm/Jig spinning rods for 80 bucks shipped.

The Cielo rods are made from the same blanks as Steez rods, if I recall clearly. ;)

Granted, they're discontinued so I doubt there's going to be a warranty, but 80 bucks for such a nice rod is worth it without the warranty IMO.

Tough to beat the Avid in that price range (it will be right there if TW does a 20% off BF sale). Not too many rods in that range that you won't be pleased with.

If you look around the net a bit, you can find Daiwa Cielo 6'3" dropshot rods and Cielo 6'6" MHF Worm/Jig spinning rods for 80 bucks shipped.

The Cielo rods are made from the same blanks as Steez rods, if I recall clearly. ;)

x2million... I love my Cielo... of course having the custom painted fuego to match the reel seat only ups the awesomeness