-HAWK-

Show off your Stuff

1 hour ago, fishwizzard said:

The manual has a picture of a little tool that looks a bit like an old skate key, but I can't read any of the txt around it.  I was thinking of trying toothpicks, but literally have only been able to find the tapered kind, not the round ones.  My wife works in brass/copper/etc, I was going to try and see if she could turn down copper rod that would fit snugly.  I was mainly worried about breaking a hard/impossible to replace part, but if it's not a huge deal I will try to diy it. 

I was looking at the SLP non-coats as well, but I the more I use the fatter Daiwa knobs that came on the SV103, the more I like them, so the idea of some larger non-coats is appealing too.  Do the Hawgtech knobs fit on regular Daiwa handles?

Ahh I see. It must of normally came with the reel when purchased new. I’ve never seen it for sale though. Cut the toothpick off a little bit. You aren’t going to brake the screw. No, Hawgtech knobs only fit their handles, unless they’ve changed something up about them. 

The toothpicks worked!  I do want to get some sort of tool I can keep in my tackle bag.  I have had normal screws that were tightened by a dry, warm thumb that were a bear to get loose with a wet, cold thumb, so I want to have a tool of some sort. 

• Like 1

KGmlEr9l.jpg?1

I think my UL casting combo is "finished", so I thought I would post it.  It's a PX 68 with a DIY spool and BFS Air bearings.  I have it spooled up with 4lb Trilene XL.  The rod is a Kuying Teton UL.  For a $50 rod I am really impressed with it.  It will throw a 1/16 inline very well, but my thumb is not yet up to up to it with how low I have to run the brakes to get good distance.  For now I mostly use 1/8 inlines and spoons and with the brakes at 10 a slight flick of the wrist sends them both flying.  For the most part I have only used it for white perch so I wanted to try and get a larger stocker trout with it this year to see how it did. For the last day or so I have been trying for stockers with it.  I ran through maybe a dozen inline spinners, spoons, and micro cranks without a single trout and only two hits total.  At dusk today I gave up and decided to tie on popper and see what my little rod could do. 

4aKha5sm.jpg

That bass was maybe in the 1.5lb range at best, but it is by far the biggest fish I have caught on this combo.  The rod was great, the top section was bent double keeping the pressure on and the backbone was way more powerful than I thought it was.  I would have lost against any kind of cover, but for open water I feel totally confident with a fish at least a bit bigger then this guy. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

KGmlEr9l.jpg?1

I think my UL casting combo is "finished", so I thought I would post it.  It's a PX 68 with a DIY spool and BFS Air bearings.  I have it spooled up with 4lb Trilene XL.  The rod is a Kuying Teton UL.  For a $50 rod I am really impressed with it.  It will throw a 1/16 inline very well, but my thumb is not yet up to up to it with how low I have to run the brakes to get good distance.  For now I mostly use 1/8 inlines and spoons and with the brakes at 10 a slight flick of the wrist sends them both flying.  For the most part I have only used it for white perch so I wanted to try and get a larger stocker trout with it this year to see how it did. For the last day or so I have been trying for stockers with it.  I ran through maybe a dozen inline spinners, spoons, and micro cranks without a single trout and only two hits total.  At dusk today I gave up and decided to tie on popper and see what my little rod could do. 

4aKha5sm.jpg

That bass was maybe in the 1.5lb range at best, but it is by far the biggest fish I have caught on this combo.  The rod was great, the top section was bent double keeping the pressure on and the backbone was way more powerful than I thought it was.  I would have lost against any kind of cover, but for open water I feel totally confident with a fish at least a bit bigger then this guy. 

A fish that size is fun on that rod.  I have the 662L Teton and the last time I was out targeting stocker trout I got skunked and switched to 1/8 oz Pop R and caught a few bass that size on it.  It's amazing how big those little fish feel on a little trout rod.  It's a lot of fun.

Picked up a Destroyer X7 about a month ago. Wasn’t sure if I was going to keep it or not. However, I found a place for it though. Paired with a custom painted Zonda 68l that has some internal and external goodies. 

zGC6nO.png

• Like 3