-HAWK-

Show off your Stuff

The 103H is simply the SV103 in the 6.3:1 gear ratio.  The 103XS is a 7.9:1 ratio.  The SS SV103 came in 5.5, 6.3, 7.3, and they made a 105 in 8.1.  The SV103H is suited for power fishing and finesse stuff because of the SV spool.  I use mine and can cast 1/8oz. jighead with a grub or boot tail without a problem.  I have mine on a Tatula 7" ML Regular casting rod. 

• Thanks 1

Megabass Orochi XX Ronin ('18) with a Shimano Exsence CI4+ 3000HGM. Fished the rod this past weekend and it was a joy to use. (& fish caught). 

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

• Like 11

👍🏻

On 5/22/2018 at 8:14 AM, Scrapiron said:

Megabass Orochi XX Ronin ('18) with a Shimano Exsence CI4+ 3000HGM. Fished the rod this past weekend and it was a joy to use. (& fish caught). 

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

Daaaaaaaaaang, that's a nice stick right there. 

• Like 1

Thanks punch. I sure am enjoying the setup. Quick write up I did:

Went out last weekend kayaking open water (lake) here in NC and caught a couple of nice size bass (lost a couple too). Handled 1/2oz. topwater, 3/8oz. crankbait, Texas rigged lizard, Vision 110 jerk, and probably some other lures I wanted to use. Cast pretty much everything the proverbial country mile. Loaded up so very, very nice. I like a more moderate tip than Xfast, so YMMV. Sensitive, nimble and just a joy to use. 

The tip is probably a bit too soft for the 110, same with the top water, but I'll try it again. Didn't try any finesse stuff like Ned rig or drop-shot this time.

The combo feels 'heavy' when I pick it up (compared a NRX 852s with a Stradic Ci4+ FB) but once in hand, balances perfect and feels like an extension of my hand/arm. Definitely put a smile on my face when casting and a big smile when a fish was on the other end!

Handle is comfortable, cork is good. This is a better rod IMHO than the Avid X 6'8" Med Xfast I had. I'll have to think some more on exactly why.

Kudos to Megabass.

On 5/28/2018 at 9:48 PM, Yumeya said:

28525719338_2c02019d31_c.jpg

I always have to come check this thread when I see you have posted!! 

• Like 1

These are what I’ve been doing it with recently. 

A44_D3_A1_E-_E7_CC-486_A-9182-_F4_F7_D3_

From left to right:

6’6” ML Fast Bass Pro Microlite- older rod I inherited, not too sensitive but gets the job done fine. Paired with a Daiwa SS Tournament and 15 lb braid it’s a pretty nice little combo. 

7’ ML Regular Daiwa Tatule Elite w/ Aldebaran Mg7, 30 lb Power Pro Spectra- Topwaters and occasionally jerkbaits.

6’10” M Fast Shimano Curado Rod w/ Curado 70 XG and 12 lb Red Label- Just an all purpose light-er casting rod for weightless plastics, finesse jigs, light T-rigs. 

7’2” MH Fast Shimano Curado Rod w/ Curado 200 K XG and 15 lb Red Label- simply my “do it all” rod.

7’3” H Daiwa Fuego w/ Shimano Caenan 150A and 40 lb Phenix Hydra 8 Strand Braid- was liking it as a frogging rod but the insert came out of the first guide and I’m considering getting a different rod. I also am considering an aluminum reel such as a Daiwa Tat. CT XS. Thoughts appreciated.

H2O Xpress Ethos Cranking 7’ M Moderate w/ Shimano Metanium MG DC and 12 lb Big Game- Trying to justify getting a better cranking rod but I just don’t do it enough, this rod rarely sees the water. I do like taking the Met. off of it though and casting with the DC, would like to put on a longer handle than the standard 80 mm.

To do list: Daiwa Tat. LT 2500 + Curado 7’1 Medium Rod and some 15 lb High-vis braid.

• Like 3

That Tatula Elite and Aldebaran Combo looks amazing!

Thinking about getting a Shimano Scorpion / Shimano Zodias Setup. What do you think about this idea? I think it would look amazing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quarry Man said:

Thinking about getting a Shimano Scorpion / Shimano Zodias Setup. What do you think about this idea? I think it would look amazing.

Dude that sounds sweet and yeah it would look great too. I'm a UGA fan and anything red and black floats my boat. :headbang:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Looking for the big one said:

Dude that sounds sweet and yeah it would look great too. I'm a UGA fan and anything red and black floats my boat. :headbang:

For some reason I am addicted to the look of those two. I am even more addicted to the Stradic Ci4+ FA. something about those colors...

Destroyer Oneten Special w/ Aldebaran 50HG

Destroyer FMJ w/ Chronarch MGL XG

Destroyer Javelin w/ Metanium MGL

The Addermine is currently in Canada on a fishing trip with my Dad

IMG_20180605_195449.jpg

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, anderb54 said:

Destroyer Oneten Special w/ Aldebaran 50HG

Destroyer FMJ w/ Chronarch MGL XG

Destroyer Javelin w/ Metanium MGL

The Addermine is currently in Canada on a fishing trip with my Dad

IMG_20180605_195449.jpg

How do you like that FMJ and what do you use it for besides jigs?  Thanks!

On 6/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, Quarry Man said:

It would look really nice.  I was thinking of a Scorpion 70 for my 7'2" Poison Adrena.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Big-Bass said:

How do you like that FMJ and what do you use it for besides jigs?  Thanks!

It would look really nice.  I was thinking of a Scorpion 70 for my 7'2" Poison Adrena.

The FMJ is my favorite of the Destroyers I have. I use it for frogs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits too, and it does a good job at all of those

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aquaftm45 said:

Daiwa Battler strapped onto a Megabass Poker

poker 4.JPG

poker 6.JPG

poker 3.JPG

poker 2.JPG

Wow just wow. 

That is stunning but curious how the handle knobs feel in hand.

• Like 1

The knobs are quite comfortable. Same ones on the Daiwa ss air. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PatrickKnight said:

Wow just wow. 

That is stunning but curious how the handle knobs feel in hand.

Knobs feel good... in the back yard (as far as I have gotten it). Grip feels secure with the non uniform knob shape and  space, dry that is, without a load. Looking forward to seeing what they feel like out on the water under load. The TS Poker is quite a stout rod, and I think that Battler is a match made in heaven for it. Both in looks and functionality. Will eventually upgrade the drag, and put a 100mm handle on it. The Battler has been an impressive caster, even on that stiff Poker. Can't express how impressed I am with the casting and braking system on the reel. It goes toe to toe against my Daiwa Morethan PE SV with 3/8th ounce plugs, casting both on my Destroyer Javelin. It goes toe to toe against my Daiwa HLC throwing a 3/4 ounce plug casting both from my XX 7-11. Both the Battler and the HLC have a 36mm spool, Morethan a 34MM spool. I can interchange the HLC and Battler spool if I want. As far as I know they don't make a 36 mm SV spool, would love to have that as an extra spool. Very insteresting looking at the innards of each spool. Batttler has a light spring, HLC has a heavy spring (but is a ported very light spool), and the Morethan has a plastic inductor. My theory after a bit of playing around with each one, is that I can get similar casting performance with each one within different tweaks to the mag and spool tension. 

• Thanks 1

Kind of a tackle junkie, and I do have a few combos in the $700+ range. Unfortunately, more often than not, I end up regretting a purchase like that after a few hours of fishing the new gear because I fail to see the value in the combo and end up getting more use out of a $200-300 combo because at times, they just out perform some higher end products... But this...

Shimano Aldebaran 50 HG + G. Loomis NRX 7'1" Medium - Ex fast

I have literally found myself on a bite using a different technique, but still switching off to use this combo just because the reel feels so dang sexy during the cast, the rod will have you setting hooks into minnows its so sensitive, and I can cast most finesse style baits (even weightless Senkos) 30+ yards with ease... It's the only high end combo that I have EVER truly thought was worth every single penny spent and is just a joy to fish with.

20180607_215243.thumb.jpg.3d02454352b8eebc6c2de5059e017f22.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TroxBox said:

Kind of a tackle junkie, and I do have a few combos in the $700+ range. Unfortunately, more often than not, I end up regretting a purchase like that after a few hours of fishing the new gear because I fail to see the value in the combo and end up getting more use out of a $200-300 combo because at times, they just out perform some higher end products... But this...

I have literally found myself on a bite using a different technique, but still switching off to use this combo just because the reel feels so dang sexy during the cast, the rod will have you setting hooks into minnows its so sensitive, and I can cast most finesse style baits (even weightless Senkos) 30+ yards with ease... It's the only high end combo that I have EVER truly thought was worth every single penny spent and is just a joy to fish with.

That truly is a sweet combo. Waiting for them to come out with a 50 mgl similar to the new JDM 30 mgl with the outside adjustable centrifugal brake, I will make that my 1st shimano in years. Hopefully by them they will have a poison variant rod that is 7'2 plus and in the m/l range.

6 hours ago, Aquaftm45 said:

That truly is a sweet combo. Waiting for them to come out with a 50 mgl similar to the new JDM 30 mgl with the outside adjustable centrifugal brake, I will make that my 1st shimano in years. Hopefully by them they will have a poison variant rod that is 7'2 plus and in the m/l range.

Wait no more...

aldebaran.jpg

(Picture from the net, not mine)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aquaftm45 said:

Dangit... I knew joining BassResource.com was going to be the death of me. You see, I'm recently married so my financial situation has changed quite a bit and I haven't been following the new gear releases as closely as I used to because of it. Then I hear that they are (or have, according to Jelvas), coming out with a new Aldebaran 50 MGL... With that being said, if you need me, I'll be in the doghouse... with my new Aldebaran.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, TroxBox said:

What high end outfit did you have or currently have, that you felt was not worth the price of admission?

On 6/7/2018 at 11:14 PM, TroxBox said:

and I can cast most finesse style baits (even weightless Senkos) 30+ yards with ease... 

You might be surprised to know that a weightless senko by itself weighs 10.5 grams which is 3/8oz. Add in a 3/0 ewg hook for a tx rig and your pushing about 12 grams. Not trying to rain on your parade by any means but it’s a heavy bait so it’s no surprise that it casts well. Especially tx rigged because it then becomes a bullet. 

My aresal. From left to right:

6'9 ml custom bushido, cheapo reel

6'9 m lews mach 1 combo

6'10 m zodias, cabelas prodigy

7'0 m forbidden rod, cabelas prodigy

7'0 MH lews tp1, lews ssg1

7'0 MH lews tp1, curado 200I

7'0 H daiwa fuego, tatula ct type r

7'3 H lews tp1, daiwa fuego

7'3 mag H fury, tatula sv x2

7'4 H falcon bucoo, tatula ct

7'5 MH cabelas crankshaft, fuego