Jump to content
-HAWK-

Show off your Stuff

Recommended Posts

@A-Jay How is the methods casting rod? I’ve got the 7’ spinning model with an original Penn 360 on it and am loving it for inshore fishing. If you have the 7’4” Heavy model I’d love any input? Would probably be paired with a Cardiff 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Looking for the big one said:

@A-Jay How is the methods casting rod? I’ve got the 7’ spinning model with an original Penn 360 on it and am loving it for inshore fishing. If you have the 7’4” Heavy model I’d love any input? Would probably be paired with a Cardiff 300.

I like it.   I have two of the MH/H casting sticks.

The Dual Power blanks, multi piece rod that connects with several sections to create different actions. 

 The Spigot Ferrule design creates rod piece connections that are stronger than traditional multi section rods and give rods pure crisp action.  TAC Handle Provides increased grip in all fishing conditions, more durable than cork and provides enhanced grip when wet.  Includes a hard travel tube Tube.

 

The rod kit itself consists of 5 pieces which you can join together 3 pieces at a time to create 4 different rods. (This particular rod is a 7’4″ casting):

(1) Butt End which includes the grip and reel seat and serves as the “base” for construction of the rod
(2) Midsection pieces which will determine the action of the rod you want. For this rod the mid sections include a”Fast” and “Moderate Fast” blank.
(2) Tip sections are then added to the butt end and the mid piece you select to create the power you want.  In this case “Medium Heavy” or “Heavy”.

Thus, the effective permutations I could end up with this particular 7’4″ rod are:
Fast Action & Medium Heavy Power ( ~6.18 oz  weight)
Fast Action & Heavy Power ( ~6.27 oz weight)
Moderate Fast Action & Medium Heavy Power ( ~6.06 oz weight)
Moderate Fast Action & Heavy Power ( ~6.14 oz weight)

What does this mean to you as an angler? It allows you to have a better tool for the job at hand regardless of where your random fishing adventure takes you.  For example I’ve used the rod as a “Fast” action “Heavy” power rod for throwing some of my favorite soft plastics & Jigs.  I’ve also used the rod as a “Moderate Fast” action “Medium Heavy” power to fish crank/rattle baits & topwaters with great success.

 

Price is Very reasonable for what you get.

Since they've been discontinued, they are becoming a little difficult to find.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2018 at 3:43 PM, A-Jay said:

Mostly  3/32 to 1/8 oz hair jigs ~

Some 'light', open water Neko rigging.

But I usually Neko in some cover so this stick is a little light for that.

Super Sweet for that hair deal though.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Is it a solid or tubular tip on that rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big-Bass said:

Is it a solid or tubular tip on that rod?

No clue - but it fishes quite nicely.

Perhaps contact Diawa.

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20180630_144520.thumb.jpg.ff043898134e523af2ac9ad1f5e9bf52.jpg1st pic is the starting lineup for tonight. from left to right. 7'4 mh fast st croix ltb with a 7.3:1 pflueger trion, lews David fritts perfect crank 7'6 mh, falcon lowrider 7' Mansfield special m/m, falcon cara t7 7'3 mh with a bps formula 6.8:1, st croix mojo 7'1 mh/f with a pinnacle solene 7:1, and a daiwa laguna 6'6" medium fast with a Browning superlight. 2nd pic is everything else

rsz_20180630_145135.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a favorite of mine.  Curado 100B with Chronarch 50 MG spool.  An updated handle to finish it and this reel casts and performs as good as anything current  (at least in my opinion).

SAM_0265 (2).JPG

SAM_0259 (2).JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally. After a month, the shallow spool arrived for my Daiwa Tatula CT 7.3. It has ceramic bearings from Boca, Hawgtech and Smooth Drag. Carbontex from Smooth Drag, greased with Cals. Not necessary on this reel, the stock drag might actually be better. All bearings oiled with ReelX or CorrosionX. Color parts from Hedgehog Studios, Ray’s Studio, Daiwa. The spool is generic from Ali Express. This will be used for light baits. Had it casting great yesterday with 50lb braid that was just too heavy.  It’s now spooled with purple .20mm 25lb braid. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll catch a monster, but I’ll probably be tying rigs for the kids the whole time. This is my present for busting my *** for the last year..... I thought it was going to be lighter with the new parts, oh well. But strangely, the generic spool works with the mag system about 5x better than the original Daiwa spool. Didn’t expect that.  I call this reel why get a Steez when you can get one of these?

 

gkoIicF8_o.jpeg

 

uDLPaV7q_o.jpeg

 

ZzOqhW5H_o.jpeg

 

Q99yrdR3_o.jpeg

 

 

It’s not going to feel complete until the preordered Daiwa black spool tension cap with tatula spider logo 🕷 arrives in September.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 4:44 PM, The Bassman said:

This is a favorite of mine.  Curado 100B with Chronarch 50 MG spool.  An updated handle to finish it and this reel casts and performs as good as anything current  (at least in my opinion).

SAM_0265 (2).JPG

SAM_0259 (2).JPG

Nice!  I have a stock Chronarch 100B.  Like you said, these things will cast as far any of the newer reels I've tried....and I've tried a few.  :teeth:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple pickups from this week. I've been searching for a nice finesse rod for a while so I finalally pulled the trigger on a dobyn's champion extreme 702 SF I found for $250. Then paired her up with a brand new tatula lt 2000 cannot wait for this weekend to test it out on some smallies 

qrg8wl.jpg

 

eijjbd.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their 702 casting rod was awesome. I wish they wouldn’t of gotten rid of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Older made in Japan ShimanosAED5DF17-694D-46D0-8922-AA35AC774598.thumb.png.3507855e7e7e4ff52e9827cf6b75053a.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

Tat SV on Megabass Hyuga 7'2"H.  Purple power!

Very nice!  I am really digging my Hyuga, it's good for such a range of presentations.  I mostly bought it for small/medium swimbaits, but it has worked out great for heavy topwaters and frogging.  I

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

Very nice!  I am really digging my Hyuga, it's good for such a range of presentations.  I mostly bought it for small/medium swimbaits, but it has worked out great for heavy topwaters and frogging.  I

The rod loads up and casts 5/8 oz frogs really well.  What do you think the comfortable upper limit is for this rod?  4 oz seems a bit much but all I have done is throw frogs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaitFinesse said:

The rod loads up and casts 5/8 oz frogs really well.  What do you think the comfortable upper limit is for this rod?  4 oz seems a bit much but all I have done is throw frogs.

Yea, 4oz is way too generous.  I feel like at 2.5oz the Rat 50 is about the rod’s limit.  It will lob it a mile and has plenty of power to work it back or even burn it back like a foot down, but for short range pitching and casting, the rod feels a bit too light to make soft landings easy.  I wish there was like a Rat 45 at like 2oz or someting.  At ~1.5oz, an S-Waver 168s is a perfect fit, casts amazingly well and the rod’s taper keeps them pinned with almost no effort. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

Yea, 4oz is way too generous.  I feel like at 2.5oz the Rat 50 is about the rod’s limit.  It will lob it a mile and has plenty of power to work it back or even burn it back like a foot down, but for short range pitching and casting, the rod feels a bit too light to make soft landings easy.  I wish there was like a Rat 45 at like 2oz or someting.  At ~1.5oz, an S-Waver 168s is a perfect fit, casts amazingly well and the rod’s taper keeps them pinned with almost no effort. 

Thanks that seems about right.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humble beginnings

Abu Garcia Vengeance 6'9" MHF / Abu Ultra Max 6.4:1

My son's Lew's American Hero Spinning combo

Abu Garcia Vendetta 7' MHF / Daiwa Fuego CT 8.1:1

 

IMG_20180723_072131_zpsyqsvl5rr.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HazeRVA said:

Humble beginnings

Abu Garcia Vengeance 6'9" MHF / Abu Ultra Max 6.4:1

My son's Lew's American Hero Spinning combo

Abu Garcia Vendetta 7' MHF / Daiwa Fuego CT 8.1:1

 

IMG_20180723_072131_zpsyqsvl5rr.jpg

I have the same vendetta fuego combo! Just in a 7'3 mhf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My latest.... 

 

9867et.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are such great reels.  If you find the braking too strong, getting the inductor spring swapped is a very cheap and worthwhile upgrade.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishwizzard said:

They are such great reels.  If you find the braking too strong, getting the inductor spring swapped is a very cheap and worthwhile upgrade.  

Do tell about the inductor spring swap. If you don't mind telling where I can get one of those to test it out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burke said:

Do tell about the inductor spring swap. If you don't mind telling where I can get one of those to test it out. 

You can purchase the stronger spring from Bryan at The Tackle Trap in Al. Not hard to swap out but it will test your nerves for sure. Very small parts can go flying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, yea, I was far too chicken to do it myself so I sent a few spools that needed work off to TT.  Very reaspnable pricing and fast turnaround. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×