Jump to content
-HAWK-

Show off your Stuff

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Hook2Jaw said:

rsz_20190617_184054.thumb.jpg.bf6f41752c5957190ec96258d1b5a9dc.jpg

 

Baitcaster, broomstick, bream.  This is my most expensive combo, and I know the price pales in comparison to a lot of the reels and rods you guys own, but I'm very proud of it.

You should be proud it’s pretty sweet. What rod is that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Derek1, it's a Daiwa DXSB 8' HF.  It's a little tip heavy, but that kinda helps me to rest the butt against my forearm or under my armpit while fishing.  I haven't thrown it all day yet, but I plan to do a write up for it here when I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to snag another Studio Composite handle on Ebay from Japan.  These are the nicest handles I have ever seen or used and have become very hard to find.

 

P0WGysD.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking for a combo to throw smaller 6"/2-3oz swimbaits on for a while now and had never found a rod that I really like for it.  I didn't want a super long rod with a super long handle as I fish these lures from the bank and prefer accuracy to distance.  I didn't mean to go quite this crazy but I got offered the rod at a price too good to say no to and the reel followed a few months later.

0c5cLMuh.jpg?1

6KmFPA6h.jpg?1

SM4gH9Ph.jpg?1

 

The rod is a Megabass Super Red Demon and the reel is a new Ryoga 1520h.  Right now it's spooled up with 25lb Sunliner Defier Armilo mono and the spool holds about ~80y, which is enough for my needs.  The reel was very tight out of the box but after about 4-5 hours trying out a bunch of lures it loosed up a ton and my casting distance jumped way up from where it started fresh out of the box.  It's still silky smooth and my only complaint is that the knobs feel a little dainty.  I want to get a second spool for it so I can have a heavy braid option on hand for running larger "fast" paddle tails through cover.  

 

The rod is a monster and will put to rest any nagging doubts about the hookset issues I have been having with some of the larger soft swimbaits, with the SRD I know it's an issue with my technique, not a lack of power in the rod.  What drew me too it was the reported sensitivity.  I spent most of last winter throwing a 68Special on a Fury 795sb and I got almost no feedback slow crawling it across soft-bottomed ponds. This made it really hard to stay focused for bite-less hours and the few bumps/hits I got were all missed due to my mind being firmly somewhere else.  The SRD is vastly more sensitive and I could not only feel everything the Hudd bumped into, I can also feel the tail thumping even at a very slow crawl so I have high hopes for my small-pond swimbating this winter.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

46 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

I have been looking for a combo to throw smaller 6"/2-3oz swimbaits on for a while now and had never found a rod that I really like for it.  I didn't want a super long rod with a super long handle as I fish these lures from the bank and prefer accuracy to distance.  I didn't mean to go quite this crazy but I got offered the rod at a price too good to say no to and the reel followed a few months later.

0c5cLMuh.jpg?1

6KmFPA6h.jpg?1

SM4gH9Ph.jpg?1

 

The rod is a Megabass Super Red Demon and the reel is a new Ryoga 1520h.  Right now it's spooled up with 25lb Sunliner Defier Armilo mono and the spool holds about ~80y, which is enough for my needs.  The reel was very tight out of the box but after about 4-5 hours trying out a bunch of lures it loosed up a ton and my casting distance jumped way up from where it started fresh out of the box.  It's still silky smooth and my only complaint is that the knobs feel a little dainty.  I want to get a second spool for it so I can have a heavy braid option on hand for running larger "fast" paddle tails through cover.  

 

The rod is a monster and will put to rest any nagging doubts about the hookset issues I have been having with some of the larger soft swimbaits, with the SRD I know it's an issue with my technique, not a lack of power in the rod.  What drew me too it was the reported sensitivity.  I spent most of last winter throwing a 68Special on a Fury 795sb and I got almost no feedback slow crawling it across soft-bottomed ponds. This made it really hard to stay focused for bite-less hours and the few bumps/hits I got were all missed due to my mind being firmly somewhere else.  The SRD is vastly more sensitive and I could not only feel everything the Hudd bumped into, I can also feel the tail thumping even at a very slow crawl so I have high hopes for my small-pond swimbating this winter.  

Very nice combo, I have been fishing the same reel with a similar rod as of this year. It's quickly becoming my favorite reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fried Lemons said:

 

Very nice combo, I have been fishing the same reel with a similar rod as of this year. It's quickly becoming my favorite reel.

Yea, I am excited to get it out to Widewater or RG where I can let it stretch it's legs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EllisJuan said:

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

That’s like my old car, where the tackle was worth more then the vehicle.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EllisJuan said:

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

That's a significant down payment on a nice boat right there, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RichF said:

That's a significant down payment on a nice boat right there, haha.

Haha!  I was a with a buddy that lives on a private lake that is electric only...although I am pretty sure I have more money in the rod locker of my Tracker than the value of the boat, but she works for me.  😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EllisJuan said:

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

Lots of boat rash in the making. Why not spend a few extra bucks and stick reel covers on all of those?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kickerfish1 said:

Lots of boat rash in the making. Why not spend a few extra bucks and stick reel covers on all of those?

I have reel covers for all of them.  They are a pain.  This is not a common occurrence, but I bought them to use and have accepted they wont stay mint.  The only one that made me cringe a bit was the Antares...this was the first time it was ever fished...lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can take a reel cover off and on in seconds. Of all the reels I have bought new over the years most reels are mint or like new. You would be hard pressed to find a mark on them. I leave covers on them all the time while not in use. When I pick up an outfit I remove the cover and put it in my pocket. Only takes a few seconds. When I switch to another outfit I just put the cover back on before setting it down. At this point it is all habit and second nature. The TW covers were my favorite. Cheap, worked well, and easy to take on and off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EllisJuan said:

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

horrible boat good equipment..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kickerfish1 said:

I can take a reel cover off and on in seconds. Of all the reels I have bought new over the years most reels are mint or like new. You would be hard pressed to find a mark on them. I leave covers on them all the time while not in use. When I pick up an outfit I remove the cover and put it in my pocket. Only takes a few seconds. When I switch to another outfit I just put the cover back on before setting it down. At this point it is all habit and second nature. The TW covers were my favorite. Cheap, worked well, and easy to take on and off.

Yeah.  I have the neoprene TW covers.  They are really nice for the money.  I stopped using them because my stuff is usually just laying on the carpeted deck of my boat.  If I had them on this trip, I may have used them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rescued this guy from a garage sale this past weekend.  I don't think it was even offered for sale but I thought I'd ask anyway since I saw it sitting in a bucket.  Scored it for $5.  It was pretty filthy and even had a small bit of rust on the frame, but I got it back in working order and the rust came right off.  This is an Abu 4500CS (reel foot# 0400) from about '94 or '95.  I broke it down, ran the parts through an ultrasonic cleaner, added Carbontex drag washers, lighter brake blocks, Boca Lightning spool bearings, double bearing level wind, double bearing cog wheel, ceramic line guide pawl, and replaced the speed bushing in favor of a speed bearing from Reel Kustom Reels.  I'll be putting it on the water in the coming weeks.

 

 

4500cs04043.jpg

4500cs04044.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EllisJuan said:

Tools bouncing around the bottom of an old aluminum boat...

 

YRQ3Izr.jpg

Yikes!  I couldn't do that with my stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITT: People's unsolicited opinions about how to take care of other people's gear.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Junger said:

ITT: People's unsolicited opinions about how to take care of other people's gear.

lol...I knew it was coming.  I also don't use head covers on my golf clubs. 😮

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EllisJuan said:

I also don't use head covers on my golf clubs. 😮

Well now you're definitely the conductor of the crazy train!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Junger said:

ITT: People's unsolicited opinions about how to take care of other people's gear.

It is like buying a high end sports car and never washing it and parking it outside. When you purchase high end stuff most folks prefer to keep it looking nice and take care of it. Should you ever need to part with something and sell it, the stuff that isn't all rashed up appeals to a larger market and most people are more likely to buy something that has been taken care of. You wouldn't buy a used Porsche that had scratches and hail damage unless someone was practically giving it away.

 

Cheaper rods and reels or ones tournament arsenal I can see the need for everything to be out and open in a moments notice and as long as the function is there who cares what it looks like.

 

It was just an observation. Your mileage might vary...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, microotter said:

Be careful that you don’t scratch your boat. 

Shut 'er down folks, this guy wins the internet today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...