Catt

So Yall Want To Learn Toledo Bend?

Let me ask y'all a question 😉

We're told bass move into the back of creeks during pre-spawn & fall.

So what creek would the bass out on the main lake move into?

Let's say the bass out on the west side of Tennessee Bay, do they swim over to Lowe's Creek or over to Negreet?

• Like 1

I don't know how true this is but a guy my brother was working with said they catch spawning fish on the south end in 20-30 FOW.  He said they spawn in the forks of the standing timber about 10ft down.

Catt: maybe they go up to the bank and spawn in those little pockets.  Maybe some stay out there and spawn up on the flats.

• Like 1

I fish the main lake 90% of the time and when I go into creeks, I just about always fish the mouth.  I’m convinced main lake fish spawn on top of humps.  As for the fall, yall can have the backs of the creeks, Ill stay out on ledges on the main lake.  The shad ball up tight and the fish are active.  October is one of my favorite times of the year on the main lake.

• Like 2

All I can add is no matter what time of the season are weather I go where the shad are at the most.

It has worked for me that's all I can say, good luck to everybody this fall, I'm under the knife next tuesday so my fishing is done for the year and looks like my deer season is as well.

• Like 2

I'm probably about 75% main lake but I fish creeks different than most.

If I said I was going fish Hurricane most of y'all would assume I was bank fishing. In reality I'll be fishing the creek itself nowhere near the bank. With that said I would only fish the front half.

• Like 1

Good luck and quick recovery Blaster.

OK I need to clarify!

I am not in anyway saying bass can not be caught working the bank because they can.

I live in Southwest Louisiana & fish shallow marshes so when I go to Toledo Bend I aint fishing the bank!

10 hours ago, Catt said:

I live in Southwest Louisiana & fish shallow marshes so when I go to Toledo Bend I aint fishing the bank!

My first couple years of bass fishing was nothing but shallow marsh fishing in SE LA.  There are pretty much two different ways catch bass, fish the grass or fish right against the bank/roseau cane.  I remember the first time I went to TB, I saw all these boats fishing out in what I would consider the in the middle of nowhere and I  was blown away.  I went home and starting doing research and that's when I learned that there is so much more to bass fishing than just bank beating.

• Like 2

During the mid to late 60s I learned deep water structure fishing on my uncle's boat in the Gulf of Mexico but never thought to apply it to bass fishing.

During the early 70s two things happen, my father-in-law had a camp on Toledo Bend & I attended a week long seminar by Elwood "Buck" Perry.

My whole view of bass fishing changed 😉

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Catt said:

I attended a week long seminar by Elwood "Buck" Perry.

Have you read the book?  I have been thinking about finding a copy.

• Like 1

Catt, my answer to your question is they would follow the schools of shad. The next question is which creek would the shad go into? My guess is Lowes from the west side of Tn bay. I would start looking there first.

3 hours ago, Amateur Hour said:

Why certainly! 

2 hours ago, Nitreaux said:

Catt, my answer to your question is they would follow the schools of shad. The next question is which creek would the shad go into? My guess is Lowes from the west side of Tn bay. I would start looking there first.

Those bass never see a shoreline 😉

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:30 AM, Amateur Hour said:

Amateur Hour, check out "Don Dickson Fishing" on you tube. He's a former student of Buck Perry and gives lessons on Buck's strategies for finding fish offshore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitreaux said:

Amateur Hour, check out "Don Dickson Fishing" on you tube. He's a former student of Buck Perry and gives lessons on Buck's strategies for finding fish offshore.  

Ken Smith has an 8 video series with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman. It's filmed on Rayburn but both talk about locating bass on both Rayburn & Toledo.

• Like 2

I will definitely check out Don Dickson.  I watched Ken’s videos and enjoyed them.  I wish you could hear a little better.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Amateur Hour said:

I will definitely check out Don Dickson.  I watched Ken’s videos and enjoyed them.  I wish you could hear a little better.

The wind noise was horrible but what those two had to say is worth watching the videos more than once.

There's very few people better on Toledo than Freeman!

• Like 2

Good video.  I was just happy to see folks that really know what they are doing go that long without a bite.  Maybe I'll take down the for sale sign up there and give it another year 😀

• Like 3

Are they doing any stocking?  Maybe I need some new dumb fish to catch some.  I noticed even the spots are being difficult lately.  I have a couple of Sac a Lait poles rigged up for the next trip.  Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

@jcdogfish when @Bass_Fanatic says it's tough you can believe it's tough!

Everyone I'm talking are saying the same thing, come on cool weather.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, Catt said:

The wind noise was horrible but what those two had to say is worth watching the videos more than once.

There's very few people better on Toledo than Freeman!

And from what I am told, Albert is just about the best on Rayburn.

I will be headed back up there this weekend (weather permitting) to give it a shot.  I have been able to catch some fish, but no real quality.   Fishing with bassfanatic again in 3 weeks to hopefully fix that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amateur Hour said:

And from what I am told, Albert is just about the best on Rayburn

Albert Collins & Clayton Boulware caught a 40#+ sack back in June!

You tournament fish around here ya better be good!

Guys, if you are looking for something to do this Saturday come check out CenLas Blessing of the Hunt at Longview Baptist Church in Deville, La. Will not cost you a penny and you will leave full of good food and with some great prizes. Guns, deer stands, crossbows, game cameras, etc. ALl for free!

• Like 3

@Bass_Fanatic saw that on Facebook, would so love to go but if it doesn't rain I got a yard to cut!