Catt

So Yall Want To Learn Toledo Bend?

I was back at the bend this past weekend.  I got up there around 10:00 Friday morning and fished until the weather blew us off around 4:00ish.  I am normally scared to death of lightning, so if I see it I run.  I did not see any but the line would float in the air and my rod shocked me multiple times.  It was then that I decided it was time to go.  Anyway, we caught around 60 on Friday in the mid-lake area between 18-22 FOW.  We caught them on dropshot, C-rig and crankbaits.  The biggest was around 5.5lbs pictured below.  Saturday we fished the same areas except we ran down to the indian mounds as well.  Same story as we caught around 50 or so with the biggest being 3.10lbs. Sunday we fished from sunrise to 11:30 and caught around 25.  We got on a good crankbait bite around 10:30 catching several solid 2.5 lb. fish.  All in all it was a good time with my brother.  We caught lots of fish and lots of keepers.  The one thing I did noticed is a lot of the fish look beat up with sores on their body.  Is this from the spawn or is this some kind of illness?  

unnamed.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amateur Hour said:

I was back at the bend this past weekend.  I got up there around 10:00 Friday morning and fished until the weather blew us off around 4:00ish.  I am normally scared to death of lightning, so if I see it I run.  I did not see any but the line would float in the air and my rod shocked me multiple times.  It was then that I decided it was time to go.  Anyway, we caught around 60 on Friday in the mid-lake area between 18-22 FOW.  We caught them on dropshot, C-rig and crankbaits.  The biggest was around 5.5lbs pictured below.  Saturday we fished the same areas except we ran down to the indian mounds as well.  Same story as we caught around 50 or so with the biggest being 3.10lbs. Sunday we fished from sunrise to 11:30 and caught around 25.  We got on a good crankbait bite around 10:30 catching several solid 2.5 lb. fish.  All in all it was a good time with my brother.  We caught lots of fish and lots of keepers.  The one thing I did noticed is a lot of the fish look beat up with sores on their body.  Is this from the spawn or is this some kind of illness?  

unnamed.jpg

I'm wondering the same thing now. I have caught plenty with the sour's and figured it was from spawning.

But me and dad have caught 7 bass in the last week that had those spots and when we went too clean them later in the day. The back have of the fish. The meat had turned black. Fish was still alive when we went to clean them.

We tossed them and let the turtles have the ones that looked like that.

Those bass had sores so bad it had eaten down into the meat and made a knot in the meat.

Haven't ever seen it like this before.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What’s the secret to keep a 3/4 oz football jig with a trailer from catching on everything while dragging like a Carolina rig in 20 to 25 feet of water 

5 hours ago, blanked said:

What’s the secret to keep a 3/4 oz football jig with a trailer from catching on everything while dragging like a Carolina rig in 20 to 25 feet of water 

Buy a different brand. I throw a Jewel around sparse cover and a VnM pacemaker fb jig in a lot of brush.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bass_Fanatic said:

Buy a different brand. I throw a Jewel around sparse cover and a VnM pacemaker fb jig in a lot of brush.

Which to Terry Oldham's Eye-Max & you want need a football head!

097609_original_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blanked said:

Throw a dropshot. 😁

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, blanked said:

Do you buy that eye max online or locally

I buy em locally 😉

What I want in a jig is for it to stand-up on the bottom when at rest. Two attracting qualities of a football head is it wobbles on retrieve but stands up at rest.

Santone Lures Pro Football Jig & Strike King J-Lee Comeback Stand Up Football Jig are excellent choices.

• Like 1

I bought the strike king from academy.  Hung up everywhere. Is locally for you academy or something else for eye max

• Like 1

Only a couple trailers in the parking lot all weekend at six mile and sandy creek.  Do most stop fishing cause it’s tougher, too hot, or I am in the wrong area

• Like 1

@blanked our Academy & Dick's are a joke!

There's two private owned tackle shops, one of which I try not to buy from. Fortunately both shops sell Oldham's.

Everyone I know is night fishing!  😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Catt said:

@blanked our Academy & Dick's are a joke!

There's two private owned tackle shops, one of which I try not to buy from. Fortunately both shops sell Oldham's.

Everyone I know is night fishing!  😉

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

On the night fishing, I like the pond nice and uncrowded at night lmao.

• Like 1

Whew, it’s been a little while since Ive posted up a report.  Ive been on Toledo 2 or 3 days a week for the past month and we have absolutely been wrecking them.  Our bad days have been in the 40’s and good days well into triple figures.  We are finally on some better fish, still nothing huge, but a lot of solid 3-5lb fish.  Our fish have been coming off of a dropshot, spoon, fb jig, and Crankbait in 18-23’ on main lake structure.  Find bait and the basss aren’t far behind.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Bass_Fanatic said:

Whew, it’s been a little while since Ive posted up a report.  Ive been on Toledo 2 or 3 days a week for the past month and we have absolutely been wrecking them.  Our bad days have been in the 40’s and good days well into triple figures.  We are finally on some better fish, still nothing huge, but a lot of solid 3-5lb fish.  Our fish have been coming off of a dropshot, spoon, fb jig, and Crankbait in 18-23’ on main lake structure.  Find bait and the basss aren’t far behind.

Thanks for the report. Guess it's time for me too break the boat anchors back out and head for the humps in the 1215 area.

• Like 3

Whoop Whoop it's almost my fav time too bass fish.

Summer time full moon.

Who is going too be on the water this weekend chasing them fat girls, with black frogs, black buzzbaits and some super sized zoom black and red flake monster worms?

I know I am anybody else?

• Like 2

Sadly no 😞

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Catt said:

Sadly no 😞

It be alright Catt. I already took it too them big girls for you tonight.

Only managed 1 good one tonight, bunch of dinks. Had to shut it down early tonight. My old trusty  lews super duty on my frog rod, might have gave up the ghost tonight.

Anybody know if there is a reel repair shop close too Toledo town?

• Like 1

A little late on posting but the night fishing has been decent. Haven’t been as much as I’d like and my usual spots aren’t fishing like they should but still making it work. CF535B73-AFC3-451D-8C47-B04D3A8F9BDF_zps

• Like 2

Don’t they have one in Zwolle?  I think Keith’s does it and maybe one in Hemphill.  All I know. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Still catching large numbers of fish.  We fished yesterday from 6-3 and boated 65 bass and 40 barfish.  We caught some cranking, but the ol CRig produces the most bites.  Look for mainlake points with baitfish in 18-23’.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sure are some tight lipped folks in here.  Either that or the dog days of summer are here.  Heading back up there next Thursday morning to fry my brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amateur Hour said:

Sure are some tight lipped folks in here.  Either that or the dog days of summer are here.  Heading back up there next Thursday morning to fry my brain.

Well I would like too tell you I have been on them. But sadly we have a bait company up here, who likes to post vids of them catching on their bait.

Well they posted vids of 2 of my best areas for this time of year.

Quests what it looks like now? Imagine Wal-Mart parking lot at black Friday sales but only it's boats.

Sad. Why can't people keep their mouth shut sometimes. So quick to post too Facebook and burn out a spot.

• Like 1

It isnt fishing related but if you have a place (or a friend does) in the hickory ridge area you probably want to see my post here:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A5BLASTER said:

Well I would like too tell you I have been on them. But sadly we have a bait company up here, who likes to post vids of them catching on their bait.

Well they posted vids of 2 of my best areas for this time of year.

Quests what it looks like now? Imagine Wal-Mart parking lot at black Friday sales but only it's boats.

Sad. Why can't people keep their mouth shut sometimes. So quick to post too Facebook and burn out a spot.

Natural forage?

• Like 1

Hey new member here, I’ve been reading a bunch of the content posted in here and I’m really learning a lot about this lake. I’ve fished this lake a long time and I fish collegiately at the moment, but I’ve never seemed to truly be able to maintain a consistent pattern out here. Hopeful to learn more as I’d like to do well in my coming up tourneys. I also fish many of the oil and with my grandpa out here as well.

• Like 1