KU_Bassmaster.

For Us KC Area Guys - Fishing Reports

1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

I had thought about putting this in the electronics section, but I figured I’d be better off asking here. I’m thinking about upgrading to a new fish finder and I was wondering if any of them came preloaded with a map of lake Shawnee? My old Lawrence Elite (what became the hook) doesn’t have it, and I know a new chip is a possibility but side imaging seems like it would be fun to play with. I’m mostly looking at the EchoMAP, helix and the elite Ti2’s as they have the ability to make your own maps if the lake isn’t already mapped. I’m also open to any advice as to which one is best and why? 

If you are referring to shawnee county lake in topeka,Lakemaster card for hummingbird has it, so does navionics. You have to buy the chip either way.

I have both. I prefer lakemaster, but it does not cover the power plant lakes or Olathe.

1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

I had thought about putting this in the electronics section, but I figured I’d be better off asking here. I’m thinking about upgrading to a new fish finder and I was wondering if any of them came preloaded with a map of lake Shawnee? My old Lawrence Elite (what became the hook) doesn’t have it, and I know a new chip is a possibility but side imaging seems like it would be fun to play with. I’m mostly looking at the EchoMAP, helix and the elite Ti2’s as they have the ability to make your own maps if the lake isn’t already mapped. I’m also open to any advice as to which one is best and why? 

Pretty sure my Garmin's have it but I'd have to check.

39 minutes ago, Russ E said:

If you are referring to shawnee county lake in topeka,Lakemaster card for hummingbird has it, so does navionics. You have to buy the chip either way.

I have both. I prefer lakemaster, but it does not cover the power plant lakes or Olathe.

I was just talking Lake Shawnee right there in Topeka. Shawnee county would be good too because it’s just down the road like Lake Shawnee 

37 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Pretty sure my Garmin's have it but I'd have to check.

No hurry but it might seal the deal if it does. And thank you to the both of you. 

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

La Cygne was weird yesterday. Outlet was 47, bluff was 52, dam was 47, ramp was 49, bite was nonexistent. Caught a few whites and one largemouth that went 4.74.

If the outlet was the same temp as the dam, I assume they are not generating power.

29 minutes ago, Russ E said:

If the outlet was the same temp as the dam, I assume they are not generating power.

The stack was going all day and the flat north of the outlet was the warmest water in the lake by a few tenths of a degree, no idea what exactly was going on. 

20 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

The stack was going all day and the flat north of the outlet was the warmest water in the lake by a few tenths of a degree, no idea what exactly was going on. 

that is strange.

Fished La Cygne today. It was up and stained as expected. Outlet was 47 again, bluff dropped from 47 at the point to under 43 in about 20 yards and there was a noticeable current flowing from the river towards the lake. I caught a white bass on a crankbait and had 2 taps on a shakyhead that didn't hold onto the bait. Also snagged about a 10lb koi at the outlet on a jigging spoon that came off at the boat, I was kind of sad to lose that one, it was almost completely bright orange. I almost went to Wolf but the fog scared me off, I guess I would have done just as good from the bank there most likely. 

Hey KC local guys, had a quick question for you about deep cranking locally. Was talking to Bluebasser86 in a different post about if I would ever use 10XDs that claim to go 25 feet deep in our local lakes. Being that this will be the first year I plan on hitting the water with electronics and haven't mapped and local bodies of water I guess I just have assumed there would be many spots that a 25 foot crank would come in handy. Am I wrong in that thinking? I mostly fish Jacomo, BS Lake, Longview, Smithville, Prairie Lee and such but I would like to also hit some spots a bit further south and also across the state line. For these lakes is a 10XD just out of the question? What about an 8XD?

I'm not local, but here's a link to I-Boating's maps. Just zoom in to whatever lake you want to check and it's got full contour map plus locations of launch points. I've centered it just south of KC, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, drag and drop to change position.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#8.14/38.7130/-94.6437

19 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

I'm not local, but here's a link to I-Boating's maps. Just zoom in to whatever lake you want to check and it's got full contour map plus locations of launch points. I've centered it just south of KC, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, drag and drop to change position.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#8.14/38.7130/-94.6437

Man I love stuff like this! Are there other website or apps on my phone I should try or you guys would recommend?

Ha ha, I think 80-90% of the lakes I fish, all year, are not even 25 feet deep. 

But the bait does need to bump the bottom not just get down to it...

23 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

Hey KC local guys, had a quick question for you about deep cranking locally. Was talking to Bluebasser86 in a different post about if I would ever use 10XDs that claim to go 25 feet deep in our local lakes. Being that this will be the first year I plan on hitting the water with electronics and haven't mapped and local bodies of water I guess I just have assumed there would be many spots that a 25 foot crank would come in handy. Am I wrong in that thinking? I mostly fish Jacomo, BS Lake, Longview, Smithville, Prairie Lee and such but I would like to also hit some spots a bit further south and also across the state line. For these lakes is a 10XD just out of the question? What about an 8XD?

Around kc I rarely catch bass deeper than 15 feet.

On Smithville and most Eastern kansas reservoirs,  bass don't go much deeper than that. 

I use a 6XD occasionally, but don't go much deeper than that.

If you fish lakes like table rock the bass hang out a lot deeper.

Anyone fish lacygne today? Water temp?

5 hours ago, redbirdsfan44 said:

Anyone fish lacygne today? Water temp?

I didn't today but it was 49 at the outlet last week, 42-40 at the bluff, can't imagine it's come up any since then but the stack has been going every day since I've been.

There was fish biting to the west a bit on Friday.

Image may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: one or more peopleImage may contain: Adam Wohlwend, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor and waterImage may contain: Adam Wohlwend, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and nature 

• Like 4

Didn't know if this was old news or not. I got it in an email from KDWPT this weekend....

Largemouth Bass Virus Found At Melvern Reservoir

Largemouth bass virus was detected this summer at Melvern Reservoir.

Largemouth bass virus is a pathogen that can cause severe declines in largemouth bass fisheries. It is not transferable to humans, and it usually affects older, larger individuals largemouth bass. Resulting mortality is sometimes observed during warm summer months. Members of a largemouth bass population resistant to the virus typically rebuild the population over time.

26 minutes ago, KansasBassin said:

Didn't know if this was old news or not. I got it in an email from KDWPT this weekend....

Largemouth bass virus is a pathogen that can cause severe declines in largemouth bass fisheries. It is not transferable to humans, and it usually affects older, larger individuals largemouth bass. Resulting mortality is sometimes observed during warm summer months. Members of a largemouth bass population resistant to the virus typically rebuild the population over time.

Thats not good. It has been bouncing around the midwest for around 15 years. here is a KWDP link from 2007.

1 hour ago, KansasBassin said:

I don't know that Melvern will be that badly effected because of the lower population density and the very low number of larger adult fish which are the main fish effected. Gardner got it several years ago and it's come roaring back now that they've become resistant to the virus in that lake.

55 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I don't know that Melvern will be that badly effected because of the lower population density and the very low number of larger adult fish which are the main fish effected. Gardner got it several years ago and it's come roaring back now that they've become resistant to the virus in that lake.

just hope that doesn't migrate over to La Cygne.

8 minutes ago, Russ E said:

just hope that doesn't migrate over to La Cygne.

I don't know if it has the same effect on Florida strain fish as it does Northern strain. There's been discussion by some that maybe the lake already has it because it's been so difficult in the past few years. I've been fishing the lake for almost 2 decades and I guess I didn't know there was a point recently when the lake wasn't difficult. Clearly the big fish are still there, and that's one of the biggest telling factors in a lake with LMBV. Gardner was a great lake for big fish, and when it got it a 2 pound fish was suddenly a huge one (around 07-08). Then in 2015 it was like someone turned the lights back on and there was quality fish starting to show up again. We had a couple 3 pound fish caught in our weeknight tournaments, then a 4, and last year one over 5 and a few others over 5 by guys in the group fun fishing the lake. So I guess the silver lining is that it's not a death sentence for a lake, but it sure can knock it down for several years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I don't know if it has the same effect on Florida strain fish as it does Northern strain. There's been discussion by some that maybe the lake already has it because it's been so difficult in the past few years. I've been fishing the lake for almost 2 decades and I guess I didn't know there was a point recently when the lake wasn't difficult. Clearly the big fish are still there, and that's one of the biggest telling factors in a lake with LMBV. Gardner was a great lake for big fish, and when it got it a 2 pound fish was suddenly a huge one (around 07-08). Then in 2015 it was like someone turned the lights back on and there was quality fish starting to show up again. We had a couple 3 pound fish caught in our weeknight tournaments, then a 4, and last year one over 5 and a few others over 5 by guys in the group fun fishing the lake. So I guess the silver lining is that it's not a death sentence for a lake, but it sure can knock it down for several years. 

it definitely still has big fish, but they are rarely easy to catch.

I have only fished it 3 years and if anything it has gotten better lately. Either that or I have learned the lake better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russ E said:

big fish are rarely easy to catch.

I made a small edit for you ;)

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 7:10 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

I didn't today but it was 49 at the outlet last week, 42-40 at the bluff, can't imagine it's come up any since then but the stack has been going every day since I've been.

There was fish biting to the west a bit on Friday.

Image may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: one or more peopleImage may contain: Adam Wohlwend, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: outdoor and waterImage may contain: Adam Wohlwend, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and nature 

That is one big crappie!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pauldconyers said:

That is one big crappie!

14 1/4", both of them he caught were exactly the same size, pretty standard size for out there.