Sign in to follow this  
JWallin

Any good spots in KY for smallmouth

Hey I just moved back to KY after serving 10 years in the military. Does anyone know pf any good Smallmouth spots in central Ky?

Assumiming you live in the lexington area you you have elkhorn creek when it warms a bit. It is a great place to wade for smallies 15+ inchers aren't uncommon. You have Laurel, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow to the south. These 3 lakes all have trophy smallmouth potential, heck the world record came from Dale. Laurel is the closest, about 70-80 miles straight down I75 (from lexington) in the london/corbin area. Cumberland is approx. 1.5 hrs. from lex in the somerset area and Dale is another 45 miles due west of somerset down ky 90, which is a good road. Also woods creek lake has good smallies and is a little closer, it lies mostly in rockcastle co. I think..

To the east you have Cave Run in the morehead area (my home waters), about 60 miles from lex just off I64. Cave run is where I caught the smallmouth in my pic here, a 6lb. 4 oz bulldog in november.

Good luck and welcome back!

Kodiak,

We are coming to Cave Run at the end of March.  How will the fishing be then?  We were there Halloween weekend and didn't do so well.