Tom H.

Where are all the Illinois Guys ?

2,109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Tracker22 said:

Oh yeah! Tore em up on a frog yesterday! Eleven fish all 3-4 lbs.

IMG_0440.JPG

No way! What area of Illinois? It's warming up in western suburbs but I wouldn't have imagined it was topwater time yet.

17 hours ago, beardown34 said:

No way! What area of Illinois? It's warming up in western suburbs but I wouldn't have imagined it was topwater time yet.

Marion IL. area.

Couple recent fish. Waters are heating up, so is the fishing. Looking for a giant still.

Image may contain: 1 person, sky, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 1 person, sky, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 1 person, sitting, sky, outdoor, water and nature

2 people like this

On 4/17/2017 at 1:42 PM, Tracker22 said:

Marion IL. area.

Which lake if you don't mind asking? My local dirty/stained water pond is deader than a door nail. I would think the ponds would be lighting up for topwater too, but around where I live near Mt Vernon there is nothing happening at all yet. Might take a drive down to Crab Orchard lakes if their starting to pick up.

2 hours ago, toni63 said:

Which lake if you don't mind asking? My local dirty/stained water pond is deader than a door nail. I would think the ponds would be lighting up for topwater too, but around where I live near Mt Vernon there is nothing happening at all yet. Might take a drive down to Crab Orchard lakes if their starting to pick up.

A major spawn has started this week and fishing has been terrible. Small males biting everything. And I can't get the females to bite at all.

As far as location, let's just say, I fish all the smaller, shallower lakes in the area.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info. Saves me some gas money and drive time. I can have fun and get skunked way closer to home for now... :) 

1 person likes this

Went to silver Wednesday, tried the "Chatterbait", nothing. Tried everything but c4. Looked like I was stirring chocolate milk when on the Trolling Motor.

Went to coffeen Friday, nothing until after lunch, then 5. One was a keeper. On Carolina rig, 4 came off of one point. Temp at ramp was 75°. Clarity 3'.

Finally got a boat! Payed $800 and it runs like a champ and has everything to be legal ready to go. Goes 22mph even with 600lb of people and a bunch of gear on it. I'm a happy camper. Sangchris and Shelbyville better be ready!

IMG_0176.PNG

IMG_0177.PNG

IMG_0179.PNG

4 people like this

Sweet deal!

1 person likes this

Sounds like you got a good deal

1 person likes this

Yeah I'd like to think so. I'm near a lot of limit lakes so 25hp is perfect. This coming winter I'm gonna build decks in the front and back and make it more "bass boat" style.

Fishin out if it for a while is a very smart thing to do!  I've had thoughts of selling my 50hp, and putting a 25 on it.  The good thing is, it forces me fish.

Think I'm gonna try my luck at Sangchris this weekend after the rain. If the water has come up a lot there should be some good cover for flipping and pitching 👍

Went fishing yesterday and flipping was the only way to catch them. You seriously had to drop it on their head; but they would bite.

Heading up to Sturgeon Bay tomorrow for a couple days. Hopefully I'll have something to post. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, slonezp said:

Heading up to Sturgeon Bay tomorrow for a couple days. Hopefully I'll have something to post. 

Enjoy & be safe my friend.

A-Jay

1 person likes this

Ended up catching 6 fish this morning at Sangchris. I caught all of them pitching rage bugs and sweet beavers into flooded weeds and laydowns. Black/blue flake and black/purple flake. Water looked like chocolate milk.

1 person likes this

On 5/7/2017 at 11:15 PM, mbtharp1 said:

Ended up catching 6 fish this morning at Sangchris. I caught all of them pitching rage bugs and sweet beavers into flooded weeds and laydowns. Black/blue flake and black/purple flake. Water looked like chocolate milk.

Yeah it did was out at Sam Parr in Newton on Sunday nothing then Monday was at Phorbes in Farina on banks and docks and nothing was very sad

3rd day this week I get skunked. But I didn't lose any lures first time this season. A lot of catfish out here at Lake Sara.

Went out from 4-7 on Lake Decatur yesterday, pre fishing for my first bass tournament this coming Wednesday. Let's just say if they're eating like they were yesterday it should go pretty well  :D

Silver lake today, nada. Had one roll on a Chatterbait. Tried spinnerbait, c-rig, baby minus 1, and a jig.

Clarity was chocolate milk, level +6", 68-70°.

Prefished Vermillion today, talk about a tough day. Flipped chocolate milk all day, no visibility what so ever. They werent biting anything, the three of us threw jigs, plastics, spinnerbaits, squarebills, chatterbaits and a buzzbait. Water has cooled down to 65, so im guessing they're in that awkward post spawn phrase. 

1 person likes this

Lake was a mossy green. Sun was shining no clouds. Used neon green strike king buzzbait, black red spinner bait, black/silver scatter bug shad, Texas rigged Crawdad, Blueberry, Electric Blue Culprit worms 2/0 offset hook. Caught nothing.

2 people like this

Couple good ones from today

002.thumb.jpg.1ad3973ba82872e6f91a3040454350bb.jpg

5 people like this

Happy to say my friend and I placed 3rd out of 27 boats on Lake Decatur tonight. It was a tough day, but I can't complain about 3rd place in my first tournament :D It's nice being in the money!

1 person likes this