Where are all the Illinois Guys ?

4 feet!!! Good lord!

My kid got a nice one today.

long.JPG.01ea366a09d7cfed4860fc3522736f95.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, slonezp said:

My kid got a nice one today.

long.JPG.01ea366a09d7cfed4860fc3522736f95.JPG

Looks like it's around 18in.  What lake? Somewhere on the chain I'm guessing.

On 6/12/2018 at 9:34 AM, FordsnFishin said:

Been fishing alot since march. First tournament of the year was on Lake Sara. Lakes turning into a fantastic fishery. I think it stems down from them putting a slot limit on the lake. Won one of the hours with a 4.95 lb. Had a 4.5 lb that was 1/4inch shy of slot that i had to throw back.

What's the minimum? 18in.or 20in.?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

Looks like it's around 18in.  What lake? Somewhere on the chain I'm guessing.

It was a solid 4-1/2 or bigger. And yes, it was somewhere on the Chain.

Went fishing several times this past week in south central Illinois and can't seem to figure the fish out. I've looked deep and shallow and caught a few small fish but thats it. Anyone having any luck?

• Sad 1

it's been tough. We had a tourney last weekend in a body of water that usually puts out big bags. I got 3rd with 1 fish for 3lbs. Usually it takes a 3 fish limit of 10 pounds to even crack top 5. Took 9 to win. Even some private lakes I fish are spotty at best.

They were biting good yesterday, 4:45pm to 6:00pm, caught 10 bass. Threw ikas paddle tails. Then from 6-8 only 4 more. They were 14" to 17"

Hit the Fox Chain yesterday. Son was catching fish but I couldn't buy a bite for the first 2 hours. Picked up a few and the bite died around 10am. We headed to an area we hadn't fished for bass in a few years. It's a spot I regularly fish for crappies, but the bass have been hit or miss. Prespawn, I heard the bite was exceptional here, but never made it because my other areas were producing well. Anyway, we were greeted by huge pods of carp fry scattered all over the small lake. High noon, not a cloud in the sky with 80* water temps and the bass were gorging themselves on baby carp in 4ft of water. Had fun chasing them around for about 2 hours. We missed more than we connected with and didn't get anything over 2-1/2 or 3lbs. The bass were so wound up they were grabbing lures as we pulled them out of the water at the boat. I've only seen pike do that before. Was a fun end to the day.

• Like 1

A friend and I drove out to the Hennepin Canal for a few hours of largemouth this morning from 7-10:30. The water temp was 85*. The shoreline has a dense line of coontail weeds covered  with a mat of yellow green algae. The center of the canal is only 2-3 feet deep. I tried a rubber frog but only got a few hits but no hookups. A Whopper Plopper 90 got a couple but it was plain to see that topwaters weren't going to get the job done. Nearly all the other fish I got came when I would throw an unweighted, T rigged, 4" senko up on the matted weeds then I'd drag it off and let it sink on the outside weed edge. I had 15 total with the biggest at 19 inches.

6e2mti.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scott F said:

A friend and I drove out to the Hennepin Canal for a few hours of largemouth this morning from 7-10:30. The water temp was 85*. The shoreline has a dense line of coontail weeds covered  with a mat of yellow green algae. The center of the canal is only 2-3 feet deep. I tried a rubber frog but only got a few hits but no hookups. A Whopper Plopper 90 got a couple but it was plain to see that topwaters weren't going to get the job done. Nearly all the other fish I got came when I would throw an unweighted, T rigged, 4" senko up on the matted weeds then I'd drag it off and let it sink on the outside weed edge. I had 15 total with the biggest at 19 inches.

6e2mti.jpg

Very nice.

I fish the hennepin canal a lot, punch those mats. That's the best tactic this time of year.