basser89

Maryland's Who's who!

9 hours ago, Munkin said:

How many boats are you expecting? Last time I went to BH and you guys were having a tournament it looked like the D-Day invasion.

Allen

Our normal tournaments at BH are usually 18-20+ boats, but I'm expecting these to be smaller.  We are thinking that if we can get 10 boats or so it'd be a good turnout.  

Hi guys. I am not 100% sure that this is the correct spot to post this. Anyways, I recently moved to DC. My first year here I bought a DC license and fished a couple spots in the District for bass. I went out 3 short trips and caught 1 smallmouth and found a couple promising spots. My goal this year is to fish a lot more now that I am finally a little settled in to the area. I grew up river smallmouth fishing so I will probably stick to the Potomac, but I am open to other areas as well. 

I am debating which fishing license(s) to buy this year. I tried doing some research and it looks like there is reciprocity on the Potomac between VA and MD license. So I am thinking of buying a DC license and one from the other states. Any advice? I think that I will only be bank fishing. Unfortunately I didn’t bring my kayak with me as I don’t have a place to store it. I couldn’t find any place to store it at a reasonable cost close to the city. 

Maybe I will see some of you guys on the water!

8 minutes ago, microotter said:

Hi guys. I am not 100% sure that this is the correct spot to post this. Anyways, I recently moved to DC. My first year here I bought a DC license and fished a couple spots in the District for bass. I went out 3 short trips and caught 1 smallmouth and found a couple promising spots. My goal this year is to fish a lot more now that I am finally a little settled in to the area. I grew up river smallmouth fishing so I will probably stick to the Potomac, but I am open to other areas as well. 

I am debating which fishing license(s) to buy this year. I tried doing some research and it looks like there is reciprocity on the Potomac between VA and MD license. So I am thinking of buying a DC license and one from the other states. Any advice? I think that I will only be bank fishing. Unfortunately I didn’t bring my kayak with me as I don’t have a place to store it. I couldn’t find any place to store it at a reasonable cost close to the city. 

Reciprocity is only for the Potomac. Lots of good fishing in VA tho....

On 12/19/2018 at 1:44 PM, fishwizzard said:

I am about 6-7 trips into "only throwing a 68 Special all winter".   Zero bass so far but today I got a little bump!  I think.  It is hard not to drift off in thought.  

LOL. Bump maybe.  

I’ve concluded that this just isn’t CA. Big Swimbaits are for 9+ lb bass and I’m not that patient.  

20 minutes ago, microotter said:

You definitely need DC + others, since DC doesn't reciprocate with anyone :(.  As for the others, it depends on where you think you'll spend the most time outside of DC.

In MD, non-tidal waters are all covered on the MD Non-Tidal license...But all tidal waters, including the Potomac below DC are on a different license called the Bay & Coastal Sport (there's a couple small areas in VA not covered, but 99% of the tidal Potomac is covered on this).  This is annoying if you fish the tidal Potomac and Bay for bass like almost everyone around here does plus the non-tidal stuff like the upper Potomac and lakes.  If you're a bass fisherman in MD, chances are high that you need to have both.  

In VA, a VA Freshwater license will cover the Potomac downstream to the 301 bridge...Including MD waters.  Plus all the lakes/rivers in VA.  

There's also a PRFC License that covers the Bay and ALL tributaries in MD and VA (except DC waters).  This would be Upper Bay, Potomac, James/Chick, Rapp, etc for bass fishing too.  Does not cover anything non-tidal in either state though.  Most people also need one of the MD or VA licenses that cover these waters anyway though, so not much reason to get this one.  

It sucks, you can stay within like a 10 mile radius of DC and still need 4 different licenses.  

Don't worry about the kayak, hop on a bassboat! ;) 

Thanks for the information. I was initially thinking that the potomac north of DC would be easy to access on foot, but I will need to do more research. I generally prefer bank fishing rivers. The tournament looks fun. I might have to consider it. Although I have never done anything like it other than kayak fishing tournaments. 

9 minutes ago, microotter said:

Thanks for the information. I was initially thinking that the potomac north of DC would be easy to access on foot, but I will need to do more research. I generally prefer bank fishing rivers.

Check along the C&O Canal, several different lock areas have access.  These would be in MD along the upper Potomac.  Don't know how far outside of DC you want to go, but many locks have parking areas and bass fishing in the canal and/or main river.  I used to bank/wade fish from Violets Lock quite a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, microotter said:

Thanks for the information. I was initially thinking that the potomac north of DC would be easy to access on foot, but I will need to do more research. I generally prefer bank fishing rivers. 

The Potomac is tough/dangerous for bank access until you get quite far north unless the river is very low. I love it though and hope the rain is more reaonable this year that it was last. 

The C&O canal is great but sadly all last year NPS had the water levels incredibly low, to the point where Widewater was really the only place worth going unless you were really looking for a grind. I hope whatever repairs they were doing are completed by next spring.  I haven’t been out to check the water levels since early fall, if you decide to head out and scout around let us know what the levels are like, if they’re back up to reasonable levels I’d be happy to meet up and show you a few spots.  

7 minutes ago, fishwizzard said:

The Potomac is tough/dangerous for bank access until you get quite far north unless the river is very low. I love it though and hope the rain is more reaonable this year that it was last. 

The C&O canal is great but sadly all last year NPS had the water levels incredibly low, to the point where Widewater was really the only place worth going unless you were really looking for a grind. I hope whatever repairs they were doing are completed by next spring.  I haven’t been out to check the water levels since early fall, if you decide to head out and scout around let us know what the levels are like, if they’re back up to reasonable levels I’d be happy to meet up and show you a few spots.  

Awesome. Will do!

Hey all,

Just starting to get into some river fishing on the susquehanna. I am from Baltimore, Maryland so I was looking for places to launch within a couple hours on the susky. Is the three mile island with the power plant a good place to start for winter fishing? Also, could I use a pedal yak? Thanks for any help

Trying to move some of my finesse casting rods to fund a new toy, I would love to get these sold and am flexible on pricing for local pick-up sales.  

Anyone want some cardboard rod tubes?  I need to clear out most of my hoard and I cannot bear cutting them up for the recycling bin.  

MoCo Boaters - where do you get your boat/trailer serviced?

Last year I bought my boat used, and didn't take it very far from home. This year I plan to drive it around a little more and want to make sure it's ready.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:32 PM, fishwizzard said:

I was driving along the canal this morning from around Chain Bridge into DC. The Canal looked full to me. I pulled over and looked at it for a minute and it had a nice green color too. Was the canal low in that area last year or only as it made it’s way west?

1 hour ago, microotter said:

I was driving along the canal this morning from around Chain Bridge into DC. The Canal looked full to me. I pulled over and looked at it for a minute and it had a nice green color too. Was the canal low in that area last year or only as it made it’s way west?

I honestly don’t know, most of my canaille fishing is from Swain’s Lock heading north.  The watered part of the canal isn’t really a continuous stretch of water due to a lot of the lock gates being kept closed and I don’t know the Chain Bridge section well enough to hazard a guess on whether it’s level will influence the level of the northern stretch.  

Now that It’s staying light out a little longer I’ll probably make a trip up that way in the next few weeks to scout things out and will report back.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:58 PM, Logan S said:

You definitely need DC + others, since DC doesn't reciprocate with anyone :(.  As for the others, it depends on where you think you'll spend the most time outside of DC.

In MD, non-tidal waters are all covered on the MD Non-Tidal license...But all tidal waters, including the Potomac below DC are on a different license called the Bay & Coastal Sport (there's a couple small areas in VA not covered, but 99% of the tidal Potomac is covered on this).  This is annoying if you fish the tidal Potomac and Bay for bass like almost everyone around here does plus the non-tidal stuff like the upper Potomac and lakes.  If you're a bass fisherman in MD, chances are high that you need to have both.  

In VA, a VA Freshwater license will cover the Potomac downstream to the 301 bridge...Including MD waters.  Plus all the lakes/rivers in VA.  

There's also a PRFC License that covers the Bay and ALL tributaries in MD and VA (except DC waters).  This would be Upper Bay, Potomac, James/Chick, Rapp, etc for bass fishing too.  Does not cover anything non-tidal in either state though.  Most people also need one of the MD or VA licenses that cover these waters anyway though, so not much reason to get this one.  

It sucks, you can stay within like a 10 mile radius of DC and still need 4 different licenses.  

Don't worry about the kayak, hop on a bassboat! ;) 

So I have a boat but am not familiar with Conowingo or the Upper Bay. Ae there non-boaters that I could be paired up with that know these areas?

Allen

8 hours ago, Munkin said:

So I have a boat but am not familiar with Conowingo or the Upper Bay. Ae there non-boaters that I could be paired up with that know these areas?

Allen

Sort of, more for Conowingo than the Bay...The issue is going to be the fact they are random-draw tournaments, so getting a particular co-angler would be luck of the draw.  You could try arrange a practice trip with any co-angler or boater though before the tournament.  There's also an option to fish as a co-angler for those, but as a boater you go to the back of the priority list to get on a boat and you'd still be competing against the other boaters.   

While both places definitely have navigation hazards, it's pretty easy to stay in safe areas on both for newcomers with a little guidance.  There are plenty of boaters with experience on both that'd be happy to break out a map and give you a run down of things at a meeting....I'd do it myself.  Conowingo is really easy to stay in safe water with some quick guidance.  The Bay is a little trickier, but still not too bad with a quick primer.  

On 1/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, Logan S said:

(1) Team Tournament on the Potomac River (Pohick Bay Regional Park)

• August 10th
  • $100 per boat ($80 to pot, $20 to FOBA)
  • 5 bass limit per team, 12" minimum size (traditional weigh in, boats must have livewells)
  • 6:00AM to 3:00PM

Logan, I am not going to be able to join this year,  but I am interested in the Aug 10 tourny as a non-member/non-boater.

56 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

Logan, I am not going to be able to join this year,  but I am interested in the Aug 10 tourny as a non-member/non-boater.

No problem....Just keep in touch about it once we get closer.  

On March 16th FOBA is having a semi-open tournament on Black Hill (Little Seneca Lake).  I posted about these a while ago but we were't sure if the March 16th one would be held since the park was doing causeway repairs....The repairs are done and the ramp is open, so the tournament is on.  

March 16th - Black Hill Regional Park

• 7:30AM - 2:30PM (weigh in will be on the water in front of the boat rental docks)
  • 5 bass limit, 12" minimum size
  • Catch-Weigh-Release (MLF style) - Scales and official weigh sheets provided by FOBA.  
  • Boater/Co-angler divisional format (not team)
  • $25 per person entry ($5 from each entry goes to FOBA as fund raiser)
  • 80% for 1st, 20% for second.  Boater and co-angler divisions have their own pots
  • Must be two anglers in each boat (no solo boaters) and one angler must be a FOBA member (due to CWR)

Obviously the entry is low...This is meant to be a fun, early-season icebreaker type thing before the full season kicks off.  Non-members are more than welcome if they want to check us out or just want to fish with us, no strings attached...We just need 1 FOBA member per boat, mostly for familiarity with our CWR process.  

FOBA's Tournament Director is running the tournament and we have been using the CWR system for many tournaments for 2 years now, so it will be a well organized and run event just like any of our normal tournaments.  

Anyone interested can shoot me a PM or post here...We want non-members or people interested in FOBA to check us out so we'll try to pair up non-members with members to fish (boater or co-angler).  Can also use the contact info on the event page here... https://www.fishonbassanglers.com/black-hill-open

I've got an open back deck as of right now and I know at least a couple other boaters do also.  

Hey guys. Another question from someone new to the area. Where is the best place(s) to buy/handle fishing gear in the dmv/dc/nova area? I know about the bass pro in Hanover, MD and the Cabela’s near Gainesville, VA, but both are pretty far. Do any of the DSG or WalMart type places have a decent selection in the area? I usually buy online, but it is nice to handle some gear sometimes. Thanks for the help. 

19 minutes ago, microotter said:

Hey guys. Another question from someone new to the area. Where is the best place(s) to buy/handle fishing gear in the dmv/dc/nova area? I know about the bass pro in Hanover, MD and the Cabela’s near Gainesville, VA, but both are pretty far. Do any of the DSG or WalMart type places have a decent selection in the area? I usually buy online, but it is nice to handle some gear sometimes. Thanks for the help. 

Sit down, I have some bad news for you.....

There used to be a place called Anglers Express in Cockysville, but I think it recently closed.  Other then that I have never found a decent "bass" store, saltwater fishing dominates around here.  If you want a nice weekend trip, Susquehanna Fishing Tackle in Columbia PA is like 2-3hours from most of MD and is an amazing shop.  There is enough good wading access and cheap motels up there that I make the trip once or twice a summer and make a little mini vacation out of it.  

I hope to hell that someone chimes in with an amazing store that I have never heard of, but I am not optimistic.  

Green Top sporting goods down in Richmond is a great store, better selections than BPS or Cabelas for both fishing gear and gun stuff if you're into that too.  Right off 95, I occasionally stop in on the way to or from Gaston/Kerr or anywhere else down south since I drive right by.

SFT is awesome too...I just have a hard time making the drive since their free shipping is basically next day to us since we're so close, no sales tax either.  I order from the frequently.  Definitely worth a drive if you want to look at stuff in person though, they have almost everything...It's the east coast TackleWarehouse equivalent.

I had a feeling that was the case. SFT sounds like a fun trip though plus I have always wanted to the fish the Susky. Also, I somehow I have never visited their online score. Thanks for the tips guys. 

23 minutes ago, microotter said:

I had a feeling that was the case. SFT sounds like a fun trip though plus I have always wanted to the fish the Susky. Also, I somehow I have never visited their online score. Thanks for the tips guys. 

There used to be a huge Cabelas' in Hamberg PA so I would stay up there.  The wading below the dam on the Schuylkill River is really nice and there are some cheap hotels like a 5-6min drive from the parking access.  You can also access the river from a park intown, I would get up at dawn and fish the river until the diner in town opened up for breakfast.  

35 minutes ago, Logan S said:

Green Top sporting goods down in Richmond is a great store, better selections than BPS or Cabelas for both fishing gear and gun stuff if you're into that too.  Right off 95, I occasionally stop in on the way to or from Gaston/Kerr or anywhere else down south since I drive right by.

SFT is awesome too...I just have a hard time making the drive since their free shipping is basically next day to us since we're so close, no sales tax either.  I order from the frequently.  Definitely worth a drive if you want to look at stuff in person though, they have almost everything...It's the east coast TackleWarehouse equivalent.

Green Top has a good section but their prices are insane, like well over MSRP in some cases.  It's worth a stop though as they do have stuff I have never seen the the chain stores.  

SFT is worth the trip just to see it and bask in wall to wall tackle every once and a while.  My rule there is that I can only buy what I can carry in my arms, no cart, no trips to drop off at the counter.  

Well, the FOBA Black Hill tournament went on as scheduled on Saturday.  We had a good turnout of 10 boats considering the weather and fishing conditions...Several guys here tried to get in and I'm really sorry we couldn't get everyone entered, we just ran out of boats and members that were committed to fishing that day.  There's another one at Black Hill on May 8th, same format - And I'd expect a much higher turnout there.  I'll post about it as we get closer.  

The fishing was pretty brutal - 20 anglers and only 22 total fish were caught.  It was cold, windy, and the fish definitely didn't cooperate for the most part....But some fish were still caught and 4 people made a little spending money.  Water was clear and 43 to 45 degrees at launch and for most of the lake.  

Yours truly figured out a little something and had a decent bag ;), but it was certainly not easy and could have very easily gone another way.  Caught 2 on a jerkbait in the wind before getting way up a creek to find muddy water.  Caught the other 3 back there on shallow cover with a jig and spinnerbait.  When it's cold, mud makes it easier to find em ;).  Had 11-15 with a big fish of 3-10.  

If anyone cares, full results and some pics are updated on our site.  If it's seen as too spammy to post it someone yell at me and I'll quit doing it...I just figure local guys might care and it's easier than copy/pasting.  

https://www.fishonbassanglers.com/Events/Derbies/2019/March-FOBA-Derby-Tournament---03%2F16%2F19/Results