Sign in to follow this  
Thad

Where to fish New River?

I just moved up to Blacksburg and I'm looking for some close places to fish New River. I have fished below Claytor Lake my whole life so I don't know much about above it. I have been going to it via Spruce Run Road the last few weeks and I'm catching a lot but not much size.

Thanks

Im in blacksburg right now too, im going to VT.

I love to go down to the river as often as i can, which isn't as much as i'd like.

but anyways, i go down the the McCoy Falls area every time, but there are a lot of people who fish there.  It has good potential for big fish i believe though.  

Also if you have a boat (which i do not) you can go to the Whitethorne boat ramp and go down stream, i here there are several very good spots down that way that i am sure you could get some big ones there.

other than that i just basically drive around until i find good spots. there are a few that i like to go to, but im really not even sure of how i get there.  ( alot of dirt roads ;D)

Good Luck!

How exactly do you get there? Off of Prices Fork you take Tucker Rd that leads to McCoy Road, rigth? Then what, just follow that to the falls? Will I see parking down there?

Thanks

yeah just take prices fork, mccoy actually runs right into prices fork, just look for it on the right.  But just follow that the whole way and you will run right into the river.  take a right, go just a little bit down that way and there will be same space to park on the right side of the road.  just kinda a stip of gravel.  but make sure to keep exploring, the falls are great, but just keep following that road along the river and just kinda find different spots.  If you keep going it goes away from the river, but just take a left when you hit a dead end and it will take you right back to it.

Have Fun!!