Sign in to follow this  
roadwarrior

Wilson Lake, AL

I'm fishing Wilson this Saturday. Does anyone know what's been

going on at this lake? I have searched the net for a fishing report,

but came up empty handed. Comments are appreciated.

8-)

I'm from the area and I don't have a chance to fish very much. I asked one of my co-workers for you, he is every familar with Wilson and here's the reply I got.

Right Now Wilson Lake is on a tear. If you were fishing a tournament against these guys down here and you don't have 20lbs

In five fish there is no use coming to the scales. I fished one two weeks ago right below Wheeler I had 18 lbs and finished 7th. Ist place was five smallmouth 22Lbs .85, 2nd was 22.67 and 3rd was 21.97.

Hog Island which is about I mile from the dam may be holding some good fish, just buy you a map of Wilson Lake it's marked.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DECIDE TO FISH BELOW WHEELER DAM YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR PROP UP THERE IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL.

Just remember what you are fishing for, the word is Small Mouth, Don't throw a DB 22 and expect to catch a smallmouth bass.

Most of the Smallmouth have moved from the tail races and have moved to the points. Largemouth have moved into the shallows and the creeks. Town Creek and Shoals creek is usually hot this time of year. Throw finesse worms and Spinner Baits,{white on white].

If you put in at Fleet Harbor make sure you fish inside the harbor I've won two tournaments in there and never cranked my big motor.

Thank you!

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for and all I need!

-Kent a.k.a. RW

8-)

The fishing was poor, only six bass, but the weather was nice.

I caught -0- on the spinnerbait; 3 on a jig and 3 on a narrow

wobble crankbait (Lucky Craft Flat CB). No takers on a variety

of other presentations.

Sorry to hear that.

I took my kids up to Tishomingo State Park in TiIshomingo, MS.  We didn't have much luck.  They caught 5 bluegill and I got one largemouth, about 12-14in.

I fished Wilson Saturday 4/25 and we loaded the boat.  61 fish with 9 different species caught.  Only about a dozen were smallies and we spent all day fishing the tailrace.  The white bass and small hybrids were on a tear and made up most of our catch.  We caught smallies, largemouth, hybrid, white bass, yellow bass, drum, channel cat, blue cat, and one nasty old shad that managed to jump on the bait.  I fish up there at least once a month even though it is a 2 1/2 hour drive from east of Birmingham where I live and I plan to be back up there this coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as well as the following Saturday.  Some of the hottest action in the state of Alabama is on Wilson right now but some of the other lakes are wide open as well.  Smith, Guntersville, Neely Henry just to name a few are giving up big numbers and some quality fish.

Fished Wilson again on 5/2 and loaded up again.  We had 64 fish from 10 species.  The bite is really on right now and I will be making that 2.5 hour drive again next weekend.