Sign in to follow this  
Jake P

flukes

Can someone hook me up with some fluke knowledge? I grabbed a couple bags of zoom super flukes today at BPS and know nothing about them.Whats the best way to rig and fish them?

We rig them on 5/0 or 6/0 EWG offset superline hooks.  We use the superline hooks because they are made with heavier wire and help to get the fluke deeper in the water.  Using flourocarbon line which sinks also helps to get them down in the water.  The basic retrieve is jerk, pause, jerk, pause, but there are countless variations you can and should try until you find which one the fish respond to best on that particular day.  If you skin hook the point of the hook in the back of the fluke, it is virtually weedless and can be thrown into just about any type of cover.  This is a very fun presentation and one of our favorites.

Make your retrieve as erratic as possible.  Sometimes if the bite stops on them or is slow in the first place I will continuously jerk them a third of the way or more back to me and then let them sit for a second.  Usually I will get bit as soon as I stop or restart my retrieve.  If that doesn't work after a few tries I pick up my flippin stick. ;D

I rig weightless with a 4/0 extra-wide gap hook. Jerk-pause is good, as mentioned above. After the jerk, leave a little slack in the line, which is what allows the bait to dart erratically. Also use in vegetation, such as lily pads, retrieving them over, around and through the weeds, letting them sink into holes and at the edges. My strikes are generally detected by seeing the line move to the side before feeling anything, so be a line watcher.

There are numerous ways to fish them. One way that I like in weedy water is to walk the dog on the surface.

I agree. Weightless on a 4/0 hook.

Another deadly way Ive been finding out is the zoom fluke jr's with like a 1/0 or 2/0 hook. If the bass are hitting shiners but arent schooling. Just match what the shiners are doing with your fluke and be ready for tons of hits  ;D

We rig them on 5/0 or 6/0 EWG offset superline hooks. We use the superline hooks because they are made with heavier wire and help to get the fluke deeper in the water. Using flourocarbon line which sinks also helps to get them down in the water. The basic retrieve is jerk, pause, jerk, pause, but there are countless variations you can and should try until you find which one the fish respond to best on that particular day. If you skin hook the point of the hook in the back of the fluke, it is virtually weedless and can be thrown into just about any type of cover. This is a very fun presentation and one of our favorites.

yup great info   but the faster you retrieve them they will stay high in the water column