Sign in to follow this  
Steve P.

Did I over react?

Neighbor has been setting off fireworks non-friggen stop since 7:30. These aren't your regular fireworks either. These are dang near like the professional stuff. They shake the whole house.

I realize that it's NY Eve, but at 12:45, I snap. I walk over there and ask if he's setting off "the big @*$^". He says "yes".

His girlfriend laughs. I ask 'what the #$@! are you laughing at, you stupid WH%$#@!".

He then bows up on me and says "We have 2 more to set off"

I get in his face and tell him "NO, Moth@#$ $#!(%^". You have ZERO more to set off!!. We face off for a few more seconds and I dare him to light off another one.

As I walk away, I say "go ahead, light it up Mot$%# %^#@$%, I'll be back if you do".

It's 1:20 and there's been nothing but silence. I can't wait till morning. I'll be knocking on his door asking him if he wants to carry this further.

Yes, I have an EXTREMELY violent temper.

Yes, I just can't let stuff go either.........................

The fact that you have to ask whether or not your overreacted probably means you did.

Yes, you have a right to be angry and upset.  But reacting to those emotions usually doesn't end well.

Probably, but it is your choice if you want to carry it any further. Be advised it's his choice to end it the way he wants if you start it on his doorstep. On his property he can get away with a lot of things especially since you have allready threatened and confronted him. This could end up in another shoot out at the ok corral if you are not careful. It's your choice though. Good luck

Do not try to continue it in the AM.  That is just asking for trouble.  I think it could have been handled in a more diplomatic way.  Lessons learned. ;)

My advice, don't finish it up in the morning. That's not a way I think you want to start off the new year. ;)

Three suggestions:

Go to bed, get some sleep

Chill and relax

"Yes, I have an EXTREMELY violent temper. Yes, I just can't let stuff go either."

Get some counseling, learn to let stuff go.

Good luck & Happy new year.

I'm the same way with the fireworks on July 4th and New Year.  I enjoy fireworks but some people are just plain A-Holes when  it comes to setting them off.  A few of my neighbors started tonight before it even got dark and continued to at least 1:30am.  

Let it go, you've already won.

No, over-reacting would have been shoving the remaining fireworks up his arse.

Then lighting them.

Glenn's right

and just a reminder that getting in someones face these days is not the best choice of action.  This is not the 50's anymore where there is honor among men.  You may very well be able to kick his butt, but can you outrun the 38 his brother had traced on your back?

Use your head, the Marsch wouldn't be the same w/o you ;)

ps- seen Avid?  

No, over-reacting would have been shoving the remaining fireworks up his arse.

Then lighting them.

and if his neighbor was you,...where would that have ended up????

You'd both be calling for bail and shaking your heads that you...

a. got yourself a police record over a firecracker

b. now have a neighbor you are at war with

c. you set a crap example for anyone young around you

d. Burleys hemmoroids are cured

before you start something, you need to ask yourself where it's going.

Did you overreact?

What are the local laws concerning the use of fireworks?  If the law allows the usage of them, unrestricted, on New Years eve along with the 4th of July then I'd say your neighbor wasn't doing anything that the law said he had a right to do.  If that's the case, then yes, you overreacted.

If there are laws against it, a call to the local PD would've been a better way to handle it.

I live in a community that not only allows the sale of fireworks but usage of them from 10 days before 4th of July until the fourth.  You can shoot them off to your hearts content until 11pm at night.  You can also shoot them off, legally, Until 12:30am on New Years eve.

It's like a war zone here most years.  I've learned to live with it.  

You cussed the man's girlfriend because she laughed at a grown man throwing a hissy-fitted temper tantrum? Yea, you overreacted. Grow up.

And remember, good fences earplugs make good neighbors.

Glenn's right

and just a reminder that getting in someones face these days is not the best choice of action. This is not the 50's anymore where there is honor among men. You may very well be able to kick his butt, but can you outrun the 38 his brother had traced on your back?

Use your head, the Marsch wouldn't be the same w/o you ;)

ps- seen Avid?

Hit the nail on the head. If this were the previous generation, that ahole wouldn't be over there shooting them off all night like that. Gone are the days where disputes that result in fights are resolved by a mere fistfight. Now people get their butt beat and come back with a lawyer or a gun. Don't know which is worse.......... ::)

Personally I'd advise against taking it further, especially going up to the guy's door. He already has a witness that you threatened him ("go ahead, light it up Mot$%# %^#@$%, I'll be back if you do") on his property and then you go to his front door?! :-? You could end up dead and he'll definitely walk. Then he'll be free to light off the remaining two fireworks celebrating. Let it go man; it ain't worth it.

Did you overreact?

What are the local laws concerning the use of fireworks? If the law allows the usage of them, unrestricted, on New Years eve along with the 4th of July then I'd say your neighbor wasn't doing anything that the law said he had a right to do. If that's the case, then yes, you overreacted.

If there are laws against it, a call to the local PD would've been a better way to handle it.

I live in a community that not only allows the sale of fireworks but usage of them from 10 days before 4th of July until the fourth. You can shoot them off to your hearts content until 11pm at night. You can also shoot them off, legally, Until 12:30am on New Years eve.

It's like a war zone here most years. I've learned to live with it.

I agree with Cart7t

I used to live in Dallas and it was illegal.I remember the gangbangers lighting them off right at my mom and dad's house.Every time the cops were called they play it off like it wasn't them.After the 3rd time my mom just blew the lid and confronted them.Then his parents came out trying to shove my mom and my dad ended up blocking those shoves.My dad shoved them back to the point he fell(the dude was drunk).

So the gangbangers dad decided to call the cops to play a game and get my dad arrested for assault.The cops comes,gets everybody's story and they(neighbors lighting fireworks) end up getting a $2000 fine for having fireworks in the city.

When they told the cops why don't they arrest my dad for assault the cops told them "Guys,you must be an idiot".Then proceeds to tell them if they bother us in any way every single one of them will be arrested.Now that was an awesome and the best night i ever witnessed!

I've never seen the block so peaceful that night.... ;D

Did I over react?

No.  Everyone walks up to someone's girlfriend and says, "'what the #$@! are you laughing at, you stupid WH%$."

Florida has very clear laws on fireworks.  Pretty much anything that goes bang or travels off the ground is illegal.

Well, morning has come and gone and we have no update. Are you dead, or in jail?

Let us know.

;D

Pushing up daisies or pushing something else up?  :o

Did I over react?

No. Everyone walks up to someone's girlfriend and says, "'what the #$@! are you laughing at, you stupid WH%$."

Seriously.

I would lose that act if I were you. No offense, but say that to the wrong guy's girl and you'll be on your hands and knees searching for your teeth.

Next time put your tax dollars to work and call the cops. Thats what they are there for. ;)

Steve P, awesome that you were able to resolve it in the end with apologies.

Like you I have issues with guys around here doing it. Mainly because of safety. I have 4 small children, we are in a tight development, and drunk people with fireworks have a uncanny ability to endanger lives and property.

I can have an explosive temper as well but have learned to TRY to chill a bit. If it were to happen here, I would calmly walk over to them and tell them it needs to stop. IN NC, if it flies, then it is illegal. There are also noise ordinances in my city. Given any grief from them on stopping I would simply let them know to expect the police  shortly.

It is of course not always that easy, expecially when you have been listening to booming all day long. Sounds like you could have handled it better, but I think it is an important thing that you can look back and question you own actions as you did with this thread man.

Anyway, glad it turned out good for you guys. Hopefully, next time (assuming there is one), you won't need to go over there. Hope you have a good year!