Sign in to follow this  
edbassmaster

Glen Campbell

I was in a Starbucks in Malibu California three days ago talking to this cool old dude. After he left, the woman working there told me it was The Rhinestone Cowboy himself. I am not familiar with him so I had no clue, but I Googled him and sure enough it was. He was a nice guy. He asked the girl who worked there if she watches the Lakers football LOL. The woman told him the Lakers were basketball. He then asked "Is it free to watch them play on TV?" In the same Starbucks walked a kid who plays either Zak or Cody on some kids show. My daughter was with me and she pointed him out. Yeah, its time to fish.

Many folks, younger ones especially, do not realize that at one time, Glen Campbell was the single most popular entertainer in this country. He was as big as Elvis, Beatles, etc.

Got to see him perform at a Grocer's Convention in Phoenix(his current residence), and the "concert" was scheduled for an hour. He played for two hours, took one 3 minute break, and was fantastic. Very entertaining , very engaging, and seemed to appreciate the fact that entire crowd was thrilled with his performance.

He also co-starred and did the theme song in True Grit

Wichita Lineman is a great song.

As is Galveston and By the Time I Get to Phoenix, all three are Jimmy Webb songs.

I went to one of his concerts in Richmond and he was a wonderful entertainer.

Hope he is doing well.  :)

Before he gained fame as a singer, he was one of the most sought after studio guitarists around.  I always liked his music.

Before he gained fame as a singer, he was one of the most sought after studio guitarists around. I always liked his music.

Yea him and Jerry Reed(RIP)

He was the De-Light of Delight Arkansas.  He was a singer in his father's church.  Delight consists of a grocery store and a post office(at least that is the way it was in the 70's)

Kelley

Do any of you know what group he was with before he started his own single career?

Since there's no takers -- He was with the Beach Boys (if you have the Surfer Girl Album - see his picture on the back of the album cover).

Im pretty shore he played in True Grit

Yea I already covered that haha.

im watching it right now :)

Haha what a coincidence so am I on AMC. Waiting for El Dorado to be on next.

I wonder if he ever has second thoughts about breaking up with Tanya Tucker. Always thought seeing a "Delta Dawn" with her would be quite enjoyable.

He played guitar on the Pet Sounds album by The Beach Boys also.

I was in a Starbucks in Malibu California three days ago talking to this cool old dude. After he left, the woman working there told me it was The Rhinestone Cowboy himself. I am not familiar with him so I had no clue, but I Googled him and sure enough it was. He was a nice guy. He asked the girl who worked there if she watches the Lakers football LOL. The woman told him the Lakers were basketball. He then asked "Is it free to watch them play on TV?" In the same Starbucks walked a kid who plays either Zak or Cody on some kids show. My daughter was with me and she pointed him out. Yeah, its time to fish.

Totally off topic, but you look alot like Chris Daughtry.

I got free tickets to see Glenn Campbell at the Sunrise Florida Musical Theatre in 1979. Not being a fan of country music at the time, I went anyways. The show was terrific and Glenn actually came out into the lobby after the show and talked with the fans. A real nice guy.

As is Galveston and By the Time I Get to Phoenix, all three are Jimmy Webb songs.

Good to see someone else appreciates Jimmy Webb.  His songs on Johnny Rivers' Rewind album are some of my favorites.

Good to see someone else appreciates Jimmy Webb. His songs on Johnny Rivers' Rewind album are some of my favorites.

Linda Ronstadt's album "Cry Like a Rain Storm, Howl Like the Wind" has a few more great Jimmy Webb songs.