Sign in to follow this  
kms399

catching walleyes with out sonar

I am going to the boundry waters this spring and need advice for finding walleyes.

thanks

which lake are you going to? We went out to kabetogama last summer, and did pretty well without sonar. We had a 16' aluminum boat with no anchor or trolling motor. Another HUGE problem, it was smack in the middle of the mayfly hatch. Nobody on are resort caught much of anything. We ended up outfishing every person in the resort about 2-1, or more. Except for the owner who had an 18' lund with a 200 horse and trolling motor/sonar, lived on the lake for 20+ years. Anyways, the secret was to use a lake map, and find the depth the walleyes were at, by trial and error and also asking other people. In our case it was 20'. We would justback away from the islands and rock piles in the middle of the lake until we were about 20' deep, and then toss over a bottom bouncer and a crawler harness on a 7' leader with 1/2 a crawler. Caught about 5 fish a day bewtween us. Not much, but pretty good for the conditions. (remember the hatch) Anyways, we caught 2 five pound walleyes and almost all were in the slot. Other bonus fish included about 10 northerns 2 sauger

Boundry Waters...oh mamma, get ready for some fun.  I love it up there.  Rocknfish is right, the mayfly hatch can be a bugger but you should get plenty of action either way.  Also, the depth their sitting at will play a huge roll.  As soon as you find em though, it's on.  I'm guessing you'll be in a canoe so the wind could possibly cause you some problems but you're best bet will be trial and error as far as finding the fish.  Find wind swept points off of islands and that drop into deep water.  When jigging, I like to start about 20 yards out from the point and work my way to about 40 yards off the point...if I don't get anything, I'm moving.  Sand bars/points were killer for us one year too.  I like to pound the rocky shores right away but there's going to be a lot of great looking structure/cover so its important to start narrowing down your options right away.

Sometimes you will have to get creative with them so remember to keep trying different tactics until you find what is working.  If you're jigging off the bottom and not getting anything, try making 3 - 5 cranks off the bottom and jig from there.  Seems like a small thing but this has made our trip a time or two.  Don't be afraid to try big baits either...

Too cool, I wish I could make it up there this summer but I have to sit it out.  I could go on and on about the fishing up there but I'll stop there.  Most important, keep a good attitude and be safe...best two ways to catch lots of fish up there.