Sign in to follow this  
sabanist

Should I join a bass club?

I'm fairly inexperienced but I would like to get more involved.  I know the basics and have caught fish, but not like some guys I see post on here.

Anyway, I do not own a boat. 

I know clubs ALLOW non boaters, but do they really WANT non boaters.  I feel like I would be imposing. 

What would be the proper etiquette for me to approach a club as a non boater.

Thanks

Try to talk to non-boaters from local clubs, that may key you in as to which clubs are rider friendly. I think you'll find that most clubs are rider friendly.

JOIN A CLUB!

You may learn more in one year than you could in 5 on your own.

I've been in several clubs over the years. This coming season, I'm gonna narrow it down to just fishing 2 clubs. To answer your question, you should absolutely join a club. You have to start somewhere. All clubs I've ever been in, everybody would welcome a non-boater. And, in my experience, the guys you meet will be some of the nicest people you will ever meet, and you will learn a lot from them, as they will from you. Good luck, and I hope you get started!!

Thanks for the responses thus far.

As a member of the club, are you expected to fish every tournament? 

Just trying to get a glimpse of the realistic cost

Also, Some weekends, I have my kids activities to attend

Our club does not "expect" you to fish every event. You attend the events you are able to.

Costs........entry fee, some cash to your boater for the day (each club is different in that respect), whatever it costs you to get there.

An example from our club: Club T Entry fee $25, kick the boater $20 for gas/oil.

Beginning of the year-$75 which covers club, state, national, dues/membership.

I know clubs ALLOW nonboaters, but do they really WANT non boaters. I feel like I would be imposing.

The clubs I've been in were always in need of nonboaters. It just seems like most of the club members had boats and, of course, they wanted to compete as boaters. Go ahead and check them out. Chances are you will be welcomed to fish as a nonboater. I also think that as a beginner you can learn more in one season as a nonboater than you will in several seasons going at it alone.

Yes, you should definitely join. I was a non-boater for 6 years. Being in a club is a great learning experience, especially for a non-boater. You get to fish with a lot of different people. Everyone has their own strengths, their own way of doing things and little tricks. Take advantage of the situation, you can learn a lot. The club I'm in now our tournaments are buddy draw tournaments. So it's not an individual thing but how the boat does. So as the boater I am counting on my non-boater. I think non-boaters are just as important as boaters. I've fished with some non-boaters that are great fisherman, better than most boaters. Go for it, you will love it.

Great,

I actually went by BPS this morning and got contact info for the local clubs that meet there. 

I'll post what I find out.

Joining a bass club is the #1 best way to improve your fishing and learn.  Make sure you joing one that is focused on teaching and not competition.

Absolutly you should. You will learn a lot and someday get a boat and be able to teach others.

I think my wife and I will be joining a bass club this year to.We love fishing for bass or any type of fish for that matter. It's just so nice to get out and wet a line and spend time together

i just got my first boat but I've been fishing my whole life and i think I'm going to start off joining a club as a non boater just to get the hang of everything

I have been a non boater in my club for 6 year, now i have a boat but still go as a non boater some times. I have never felt any thing negitive from my boater and alot of clubs need non boaters.

Yes. Join a bass club.

You will make new friends and learn a lot about bass fishing from others.  :)

Joining a bass club is the #1 best way to improve your fishing and learn. Make sure you joing one that is focused on teaching and not competition.

Sounds good.  I'm curious about find a local club like this.  I have a boat and I usually fish solo.

advantages -learn new water, teckniqes, meet new people  disadvantages- you cant fish the way you want- do the thing you normally do-fish behind a bass vacume cleaner-dont have much off a chance of winning if compeating with boaters-  i used to be a co angler , yes i did learn some things- but i suggest buying a small boat and fishing in open tournaments on small body of water ..you can teach yourself  more so ..

Hello, good luck in finding your club, a smaller club would be good to first try then a bigger one later as the "experience" grow's 8-)Club's need boater's and non-boater's, it help's them grow, as far as you feeling slighted about being a non-boater? Dont worry about it and have fun :D It's also cool that your wife want's to do this, that's probably cooler than you wanting to do it 8-)

I've been looking into joining a small club that just fishes here locally at Lake Conroe and/or Livingston but just keep hitting dead ends.  Any suggestions on finding one?

By all means, join a club. I just joined my first club, Orange County Bassmasters, Middletown, NY, and started tx fishing this year as a non-boater. My experience has been very positive. I've been welcomed, treated well by all my partners and won a few bucks.

Do you enjoy controversy, arguments and thankless hours of work?

To avoid all these problems a friend and myself started our own club. we are very selective about who we let in the club. We allow kids to fish with their parent, guests to fish, and we have nonboaters. The problem with nonboaters is you can only let so many in, you can't have as many NB's as boaters. As it's worked out, all our NB's have bought boats and now we only have boaters. A great club, never any arguments,no controversy, great friends having a great time on the water, and the reward at the end of the year is an expence paid trip to Toledo Bend every year with payouts from our club funds. Sometimes you have to look around to find the right club. Mike 8-)

Man you should just talk to any club you are interested in. And talking about your experence nothing would get you better than trying to keep up with other club members.For instince if you were in my club it wouldnt be any problem for you to fish out ther back of my boat.

Absolutely get involved in a club. Most clubs are begging for nonboaters.

Do your homework carefully. Some clubs want to argue more than fish. It has ruined more than a few.