Sign in to follow this  
Micro

My hard-earned 2 1/2 pounder

I went out today to my favorite lake.  Despite the forecast that it was to be sunny all day, no sooner did I hit the water than it clouded up, rained, and the wind gusted to 15-20 mph.  I was casting green 4" weightless senkos on my 6'8" MH casting rod - which ain't easy under those conditions.  I misplaced a cast and the senko landed directly behind a branch sticking out of the water.  On top of that I got a backlash.  As I was picking my backlash, the fish took my senko.  I gave a half-hearted hook set on top of my birds nest.  I managed to get a half-azzed set and began to take in line on top of my backlash.  In the mantime, the wind is blowing me into the trees.  The fish managed to swim around that branch several times hopelessly hanging up.  So, while it's raining, blowing, I've got a backlash, I'm geing blow into the trees, I manage to get over to the banch.  I lipped the bass and tried to get the line of the branch.  No good, I had to break the line.   By this time, my boat is now under the trees up against yet another blowdown.   This finally stops me.  And I am able to get a picture of possibly the hardest earned bass of my life, and the stump that grew straight up from hell.

Later, the weather cleared up. It stayed breezy, but the rain went away and the sun came out for a little while. I caught 5 bass on weightless senkos, and on 3 swim-senkos (one of which I managed to drop on my right foot - dorsal spine down - I was wearing sandals  ::)). Here's my very first bass ever on a swim-senko.

And here's my first pickerel on a swim-senko.

Needless to say, my senko did not survive...

Good job sticking with it. You got some nice pictures posted as well. Isn't it funny how those Pickerel swallow the swim senkos? I caught a citation chain pickerel on a swim senko a few weeks ago, I swear by the swim senkos.

sometimes the fish that make you work for them are the best. i just started using the swimming senkos, and , man do i love them!

Swimming senkos rock!  I went back out today, caught three more on swim senkos.  Woulda caught more, but I ran out (only had 5 left).  Had the tail torn off one, and others chewed up.  (Caught a few more bass on other plastics.)  But nothing seems to work as consistently as the swim senko.  It's perfect for the water I fish with thick lily pad beds - really thick.  I take my jon boat and follow the little channels that run thru the weed beds and cast that swim senko into any little pocket.  The water is coffee colored and has thick algea about a foot beneath the surface.  T-rigged on a gammy 3/0 EWG it's as weedless as they  come and will slip through just about anything, and it rides just below the surface, but above that thick algea.  

Here's my biggest today - 3 lbs

Yo Micro man, T-rig those with a 1/8 or 1/4oz tungsten weight if they are relating to the bottom. That tail action when it's darting back down drives them nuts. Don't need no carolina rigs for dragging anymore, if you hop or pop that thing up off the ground a couple times you will get strikes.

I prefer the pumpkinseed, it's my favorite swim senko and one of my best producing baits of all. It is perfect for both stained and clear water as I've caught many bass in both conditions. And rigging them weightless works well too. It just has so many applications (the swim senko model) it's crazy. Swimming em' works great too with a slow retrieve.

I hear you about that wind today man 15-20mph gusts on the occoquan river up here. My dad and I managed 7 but only 2 keepers. The biggest... caught on a junebug type colored SWIM SENKO off a dock by my dad lol. Our odd catch of the day was a 2lb channel catfish that took my dad's lipless crank on the fall.

That pic of the pickerel is pretty mean looking man, the ones I have caught haven't been that fat, but you better believe they both took my senkos clear off the hook. I missed a real good sized one at Lunga Reservoir on the Quantico Marine base last weekend... was ticked!

Yo Micro man, T-rig those with a 1/8 or 1/4oz tungsten weight if they are relating to the bottom. That tail action when it's darting back down drives them nuts. Don't need no carolina rigs for dragging anymore, if you hop or pop that thing up off the ground a couple times you will get strikes.

I'll keep that in mind when I fish some hard bottomed waters.  This particular lake is extremely swampy/snotty/mucky.  There are some sections of the lake that have hard bottom, but the lily pad sections only have semi-clear water for about 1-2 feet, then anywhere from 4-6 feet of green snot.  I fished this lake a lot and have found that in the swamp parts, you have to keep your bait on the surface or in the 1 to 2 foot strata that is clear.  Once you get down into the snot, you won't catch fish.  All you do is haul up globs of snot.  

Come August, I won't be able to get back where I caught those fish - it will be choked with green glop.