Sign in to follow this  
Chug Bug

Haunted by Bass

Anybody here haunted by a break-off that would have easily been your PB?  Also, did that particular break-off make you drastically change the way you land fish, or equipment choices?  

Nope.

We had a similar thread running a couple of weeks ago. Tie perfect knots, check your line, check your drag and use the right equipment for the fishing conditions you face- always! Your PB may be the next fish you catch...

Be prepared.

Yeah, I still think of a what it could have been. But my problem was using a crappy rod (Shakespeare Ugly Stick) I didn't know any better back in 1996 apparently. Lost a double digit probbaly a teen bass at Lake Fork in some trees. I couldn't lift up on the fish thanks to the whippy make a donut rod called the Ugly Stick. Has no backbone whatesoever so the fish swam me into a brush pile and sawed me off. Strongest fish I have ever had on so far.

ya i lost a huge bass 9+lb in Mi so it was a big deal it jumped up showed itself then turned and snapped my line off i had the drag to tight.

Not a personal best but I still have dreams about the one that took the Chatterbait, jumped clear out of the water and spit the bait at me.

Had I caught her I may have won the "big fish" prize and ended up in the top 10.

Talk about being upset.

Fireline and good knots! I use 10lb fireline, The other day I got snagged on some rocks. I had to cut my line. Thats how strong my line and knot were. I tightened the drag as tight as it would go. I tried EVERYTHING! I finally gave up and had to cut it.

Still haunted by a GIANT smallmouth that I hooked on a RattleTrap about 17 years ago in some tailraces below the dam. My buddy was about to net it for me but I was keeping cool and wanted to play the fish out so I told him...not yet. All of the sudden the hooks just came out. I won't guess at what she might have weighed but I consider a trophy smallie for my waters to be in excess of 20". I've caught them up to 23" and this particular bronzeback was, for lack of a better word...deformed. I mean she was head and shoulders beyond what I consider a trophy. Our state record here in Va. is just over 8lbs. now but was like 7lbs.7oz. back then and all I had on my mind was STATE RECORD! I'll never know.

Anyway, two things that I learned from that experience was that I needed a more limber rod for crankin so the fish can inhale the bait better(I was using more of the pool cue style back then). The other mistake I made was not letting my buddy net her when she was well within reach.

I haven't seen another smallie like that since but you better believe that I think about her and maybe another one like her every single time I am on the water.

Yep, and it just reinforced trusting my gut instinct. I was fishing a spot where hydrilla and cattails came together, throwing a baby bass/pearl swirl Bamboo Stick on 12 lb mono. Right before I made the cast I said to myself I needed to change to braid-I had the exact same setup on the deck next to me spooled with braid-but went ahead and cast. Felt the thump and set the hook. She came up, rolled on the surface, smiled at me and dove into the hydrilla and snapped the line. If she wasn't double digits she was real close-if I had gone with my gut and switched rods before I made that cast I might be telling a different tale.

I have never "broke off" a big bass that I know of, leastwise, one over 10 lbs. Oh sure, I have lost several up to 16 or 17 lbs, but those always came unbuttoned, and more often than not, I didn't really feel that their was anything I could have done about those.

I use 30 lb braid with a 20 lb Fluorcarbon leader on my medium/ light weight stuff, and 50 lb braid with a 25 or 30 lb mono leader on my heavy (swimbait) rod. The mono leader acts as a shock absorber with my non-stretch braided line. My rods are a little lighter / softer than most guys might use, plus I run a lighter drag setting. All of these things working together, result in zero breakoffs.

But like I said, they can still come unbuttoned.

Peace,

Fish