Sign in to follow this  
MinnesotaAngler

(Mississippi) River Senko

Alright. I know the great success of the Senko because obviously just about everyone has tried one and had success. I have had success with these in lakes and ponds as well, but I throw one of these guys (5") in the Mississippi and fish don't even take a second look at them. Has anyone had success in fast-flowing currents with Senkos? I hate fishing in the Mississippi, but I live on it, soooooo, yea....Any tips and different than normal Senko techniques would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have river current around here, but have to contend with the wind current frequently.  One thing I do is attach a split shot or two 2-3' above the Senko -- kind of a mini C-rig and let the Senko just drift around.  Works good under these conditions, not sure it will be the same in the river, but you might give it a try.

Never thought of current and the senko.    One would think with current, that a ribbon tail would be better suited as current would give the bait action.

What is the clarity of the water were you fish?

Matt.

The Mississippi is reallly weird where I'm at...Off my dock it's pretty muddy, but if you go under the bridge and next to the "wall" (it's like a sea wall and its a pretty good fishing spot) on the side opposite the channel the water is clear-stained. Somewhere inbetween there.

Most of the times when I am fishing senkos succesfully, there is vegatation or brush in the relative area.  Try fishing by some of that stuff and you might find success with it.

My rule in muddy water is to have some sort of movement because fish aren't fishing from sight, so some type of vibration is important to me.  Thus ribbon tail, rattles, and scents are keys.

I catch some fish in the river on it when I t-rig but they don't seem to care for it wacky style, which is how I fish it in lakes. Doesn't make sense to me. Darker colors(green pumpkin and black) have been working well in the lakes I fish but in the river they want shades of white.

First of all, how could you possibly not like fishing the Mississippi?  In my opinion it is the greatest fishery in the world and has a high population of bass, both brown ones and green ones.  And Senko's do work and work well in the River, but no bait works everywhere all the time.  Give it a chance.  I do sometimes use Senko's in high current, but in heavy current there are probably better baits.  Your problem is probably related to not being able to get your Senko deep enough.  Try either a texas rigged bait, not necessarily a Senko, or just using lighter line.

I was on the Mississippi north of St. Cloud in 2002.  I loved the area.  It is a lot smaller river up there than it is down here in LA.  

Try the Zoom Ultra Vibe Worm with a Mustad Power Lock Plus hook.  I use the 1/8th oz  4/0 hook with the weight pushed to the rear.  The weight keeps the worm from spinning and twisting the line.  There is a ridge left by the mold running the length of the worm on the top and bottom.  Be extra careful to put the hook in and out on these lines.  Rig it so the vibe tail is up.  

When the vibe tail breaks, they don't last long, break off the rear 1 1/2" and you have a  4" senko look a like.    

HOOK     http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&rid=&indexId=cat20291&navAction=push&navCount=4&parentType=index&parentId=cat20291&id=0024537

WORM      http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166&id=0030922119824a&navCount=8&podId=0030922&parentId=cat600384&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600384&hasJS=true

First of all, how could you possibly not like fishing the Mississippi? In my opinion it is the greatest fishery in the world and has a high population of bass, both brown ones and green ones. And Senko's do work and work well in the River, but no bait works everywhere all the time. Give it a chance. I do sometimes use Senko's in high current, but in heavy current there are probably better baits. Your problem is probably related to not being able to get your Senko deep enough. Try either a texas rigged bait, not necessarily a Senko, or just using lighter line.

I live on the Mississippi. I wake up every morning (well not now because I just moved in to college) and look at the Mississippi out my bedroom window. I don't like it because I'm on the worst pool of the Mississippi--Quad Cities- IA/IL. I don't always fish the same bait, I just tried the Senko for 8 hours straight through places I always catch fish and then some places other people catch fish and I didn't get as much as a nibble. I used Nitro Gravy as well as PowerBait Scent for as scents. I always use the texas rig and I've used 6lb line and I've used as much as 20lb line. It's only with the Senkos that I am not able to catch fish. It's not the first time I've had trouble with it on the river either. I just tried to use some techniques I learned on here in the river.

I live in the Quad Cities also.  I happen to like the River here, not as much as north of here, but it is a good fishery.