Sign in to follow this  
CyBasser

Quest for dependable Florida Bass sources

Hi everybody,

Does anybody know of dependable hatcheries (state or private) that provide pure-bred Florida Bass fingerlings for sale?

Any information (ie names, email addresses, phone numbers, anything!) would be very appreciated!

I'm not sure how that would work with you being in another country and all. That might be a barrier that isn't crossable. I doubt that it would be legal to ship live animals (fish) from one country to another like that. But you could contact www.myfwc.com and see what they have to say. They might know of international agencies that already stock their Florida strain bass.

Thanks Keithscatch, I will get in touch with them. I am searching on behalf of the local goverment authorities, they seem now to be positive about such an introduction, and they will do all the necessary procedures, provided someone does locate the stocks for them! (They would search themselves, but knowing how bureocracy works here, especially in the goverment, by the time they completed the search FLMB would evolve into a different species)...

Hopefully your gov. agency has done it's homework on the pro's and cons of Fla bass.  I private lake development my parents owned property on stocked their 200 acre lake with FLA bass around 20 years ago and it didn't work out so good. The fish just couldn't adapt to the cold winter waters of Missouri.

Hi Cart7,

Thanks for the reply! We don't expect to have this sort of problems, as the climate of Cyprus is similar in temperatures to Florida, Texas, and S. CA. During summer daytime highs exceed 100F daily with lows in the 80s, and during a normal winter daytime highs are 70-75F with lows in 55-65F range. Rainfall is concentrated December through April. Even during the winter of 2003-2004, the coldest and wettest of the last 50 years, water temperatures did not drop below 55F. So we don't think that Floridas would have any problems here in this respect...