tentimesover

Spotted bass or largemouth??

Looks a lot like a Spot to me with the tail spot and scales on the tail base.

Tom

PS, looking with my iPhone after a few glasses of wine!

On 9/6/2009 at 4:30 PM, tentimesover said:

Until recently I didn't realize there were two types of "bass."  I do a lot of fishing on Lake of Ozarks and was happy just to catch a bass of any type.  Now I've been looking more closely at the position of the mouth relative to the eye and it appears that most of the bass that I get are the spotted bass.  They typically range from "kidde" size up to about 1.5 pounds.  While it's fun to catch any bass I'm really eager to get something bigger than my personal best so far this year (4 lb 6 oz) and I don't think these spotted bass are going to do it for me.

My question is, do the largemouth and spotted bass have different hangouts?  How would you try to target the largemouth in a mixed population of spotted bass and largemouts?

On LOZ, you'll also find smallies. 

21 hours ago, Rick Dungey said:

sorry, but just the opposite is true...The spotted bass has a top dorsal fin that is clearly connected while the largemouth bass has a separate or almost separate dorsal fin.  Also, the front dorsal fin on a spot has 9 spines, while the largemouth has only 7.  Another good indicator (besides the tooth on the tongue of spotted bass) is the lines of black dots along the side belly of the fish (below the lateral line).  Largemouth do not have those black dot lines.  The fish in the picture is a spotted bass.

That's a largemouth all day long.  The lower jaw extends past the eye, enough said.  Largemouth colors vary by water.  Now... could there by a hybrid?  I will not argue that, but it is waay more largemouth than not.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:25 AM, MNfisher said:

Is this a unique colored Largemouth or a hybrid between a Spotted & Largemouth Bass?

Screenshot_20190520-102107.jpg

That's a largemouth 

• Like 1

Largemouth, no question. I can find no record of spotted/largemouth intergrades. Spots and smallies, yes, but not the other way. The jaw extends beyond the eye, that is all you need to see.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:25 AM, MNfisher said:

Is this a unique colored Largemouth or a hybrid between a Spotted & Largemouth Bass?

Screenshot_20190520-102107.jpg

Welcome to the forum. The fish you are holding is a northern strain largemouth bass.