MattinOK

Do you consider "live" bait cheating?

1 hour ago, Boomstick said:

Myself, the reason I prefer artificial lures over live bait is the same reason I prefer fishing for bass over say trout or catfish, which is that bass are reaction strikers and with artificial lures, you are responsible for giving it the proper action for the fish at that day.

You do realize that trout and catfish are aggressive predators too, that hit artificial lures, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Arcs&sparks said:

You do realize that trout and catfish are aggressive predators too, that hit artificial lures, lol

Oh, absolutely! But when fishing live bait or even power bait, if there's trout within a few feet they just smoke it right up. They're scent feeders where bass are not, so I'm much more likely to use live or dead bait with catfish or trout for that reason. I'm also more likely to keep trout and catfish as well.

1 hour ago, Boomstick said:

They're scent feeders where bass are not, 

Really? I've caught LMB on cut bait, squid, and bacon just for S&Gs. LMB guys have some misconceptions about their beloved. They are fish, like all the others. But yes, catfish chase lures all the time. The blues are paving the potomac and its tribs right now, and eating everything in sight (or is it scent?) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, reason said:

Really? I've caught LMB on cut bait, squid, and bacon just for S&Gs. LMB guys have some misconceptions about their beloved. They are fish, like all the others. But yes, catfish chase lures all the time. The blues are paving the potomac and its tribs right now, and eating everything in sight (or is it scent?) 

You might get them with scent, but they certainly don't chase scent like a catfish or trout. And I'm not arguing that you can get catfish on lures too, but anything with a blood scent is just so effective with catfish, and garlic with trout so why not?

As my friend would say, catfish are like goats -- even more than bass. If they can fit it in their mouth, they'll swallow it.

Yup!

I have consulted the official fishing for fun rule book.     It says, the most important thing is that you have fun, there are no rules when fishing for fun.

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the scientific data regarding the use of live bait vs artificial. Countless studies have shown that the use of live bait causes significantly higher mortality than artificial amongst many fish species. So if your after fish to harvest them, then live bait is arguably a better tactic. If your catching and releasing, live bait is not a good idea.

I do not target bass to eat them, so I do not use live bait when fishing for them. I do sometimes use live bait for crappies or walleyes with the intention of harvesting a few.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:32 AM, J Francho said:

Content is my side hustle. 

Nothing wrong with creating your own content on YouTube for others to enjoy watching. The problem is when others steal other Youtubers content and use it for their own. I consider those ''content stealers'' to be lower than garbage, especially when they are trying to make money off another person's video.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:05 PM, Arcs&sparks said:

You do realize that trout and catfish are aggressive predators too, that hit artificial lures

Have caught trout and catfish on various lures and I agree that both types of fish are agressive predators. I find catfish to be more aggressive than trout and I have caught catfish on topwaters, jerkbaits, crankbaits, swimbaits, and jigs.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, reason said:

Largemouth bass will eat cut bait just like a catfish will. Have caught largemouth bass over 24 inches and well over 7 pounds as bycatch while fishing for channel catfish with cut bait. Have also caught bass with a bare hook, on bread, on hotdogs, on chewing gum, etc. I am sure there are elitist lure only bass fishermen that would hate knowing that I catch bass of this size on cut bait while they struggle with sub 5 pounders but it goes to show you bass are not the supreme fish many think they are.

11 hours ago, soflabasser said:

Nothing wrong with creating your own content on YouTube for others to enjoy watching. The problem is when others steal other Youtubers content and use it for their own. I consider those ''content stealers'' to be lower than garbage, especially when they are trying to make money off another person's video.

I was referencing a couple of the "catch phrases" I detest.  Keep crushing it in 2018.  :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I was referencing a couple of the "catch phrases" I detest.  Keep crushing it in 2018.  :D

Should have had your words curated by an influencer, you click baiter, you...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Have not heard that ''catch phrase'' in years. I caught a trophy bass last month that measured 25.25 inches long by 18 inches girth, along with other big bass this year. Not sure if that is considered ''crushing it'' but I think I did well for a person that mostly fishes for bass from the shore. Got a couple weeks left before this year ends hopefully I catch a couple more over 6 pounds, not interested in any bass smaller than that at this moment in time unless its a new species of fish which I am planning a couple trips for those next year.

• Like 1