dhami013

Beavers In Ponds

On 5/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, Lead Head said:

I don't know why, and I'm sure it's rare... but there are occasions when beaver will eat fish. After watching one munch on a large perch in a local pond I did a little internet research and it turns out others have seen similar behavior. There is even a YouTube video of a beaver eating a fish. Most documentation I could find was of beavers eating freshly cleaned fish carcasses but I saw what I saw. And before anyone asks... yes it was a beaver, otters don't swim up to the boat and tail slap.

Call me crazy if you want... you won't be the first (or last unfortunately)

Or it’s an otter. Pretty similar looking. 

It wasn't... when it was done it came over and slapped the water behind me. Had to get the boat paddle and slap the water back at him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lead Head said:

It wasn't... when it was done it came over and slapped the water behind me. Had to get the boat paddle and slap the water back at him.

LOL. I believe you. Otters slap water just the same tho. 

Really? I've never had an otter water slap at me, they usually just run off and hide. There aren't as many otter here as there are beaver so I don't have nearly as much experience with them. This particular beaver was in a pond I would occasionally fish near my house. Our water slapping battles were epic.

Lol. Otters slap even louder than beavers. They roam away from rivers and hop from pond to pond killing the biggest fish. Vermin sobs. 

I've had an otter get really pissy at me, not only did he slap the water he was barking back at me and seem to me warning/taunting me to get off his river.  

On 5/11/2018 at 10:54 AM, Joshua Vandamm said:

Mostly they provide structure. Your major problems are not the beavers. That sounds like you need inflow and good filtration to get started. 

Also runoff is probably what’s causing the rusty color. Sure up the bank with rip rap or dig a trench around it. 

if you do did a trench around make sure you have a battle buddy with you and armed. a beaver will charge you and use that dam tail. i have a small lake here and it has two beaver dams. they dont mess with us until we mess with them. 

Beavers don't hurt the fish at all. Muskrats, Otter, & snapping turtles will eat anything they can get though. 

I'm not here to troll or start an argument, but...

Beavers do consume fish.

I've never personally seen them do it, but I do know a man that has.  There are multiple accounts of it and several articles written about it online, as well as a YouTube video showing one munching away at a salmon head.  Much like a red deer biting the head off a nesting seabird to consume it's brain, beavers eat fish brains.

Most accounts are of beavers munching on carcasses discarded by bears and humans.  I do not personally believe they consume many live fish, but I believe given the chance one will.  Mostly, they seem to dine primarily on dead fish, and in particular, the brain.

Beavers are the scavenging zombies of the rodent family, it seems.  ;)

Beaver will swim near me and slap their tail. I‚Äôm talking a 48‚ÄĚ long Beaver encluding¬†his tail. There is a drainage pipe to keep the pond at a certain height. The Beaver fill the pipe every night, the town shows up with a backhoe to clear the pipe. We have turtles too. When the turtles are active forget about fishing. The otters are out at twilight first sign of light in the morning. I see otters everywhere I fish at.

In GA, we actually had a bounty on beavers a few yrs back. Dept of Natural Resources would pay you for every beaver tail you turned in. 

They were out if control and ruining local fisheries, not just for "selfish man" but for other species and animals. 

If you have a few and they're not hurting anything I say leave em. But keep a close eye because it won't take long and you'll have an issue on your hands.