Sign in to follow this  
krisjack69

Strike King Shadalicious

I have a Strike King Shadalicious 4.5 inch swim bait.What is a good hook to rig this bait with.Can anyone give me tips on how to rig it.Do I rig it like hank Parker does for the money minnow.Any help would be appreciated.

There are a variety of swimbait hooks on the market. I prefer ones that screw in to the nose of the bait.

I would like to know what size of hook to use for the 4.5 inch bait.

There are a number of swimbait hooks and a number of ways to rig them.

I use spinning tackle only, so I'm limited as to what I can throw.

One that I'm using is a 5.5" Shadilicious rigged on a Falcon 7/0 Swimbait Hook with 3/8oz weight.

Screw the lure onto the coil-keeper all the way up to the eye. Lay the hook on the belly of the bait and memorize the point-of-entry.

Now push the hook squarely through the thickness of the lure, from "side-to-side", rather than through the lure's vertical height.

The side-hooked swimbait will swim differently than an upright swimbait, and the hook will provide more bite. The hook-point is first Texposed, but then "Texskin" the bait by pushing a wave of plastic over the hook-point. That should work.

Roger

I use Gammy weighted superline hooks. 5/0 1/8 oz.

http://www.***.com/descpage-GSEGW.html

I don't like the screw in style as they tend to tear up the baits more.

I rig them by starting like I am rigging a standard texposed rigged hook but stop after the hook exits the nose. Back it out and then thread the eye of the hook into the hole you just made in the bottom and out thru the nose, then finish rigging as normal. This way you do not thread the lead thru the bait making a larger hole. I think you will find this type of hook more weedless than the screw in type also, especially if you are throwing it in thicker weeds with algae present. Nothing in front for muck to get caught on.

P.S. Great Bait!!!

I plan on trying these out a bit differently; nose hooked only, with a weighted worm hook. Of course, I fish mostly off-shore structures for small mouth.

I agree with CWB the hooks with the screw type keepers damage the shadalicious baits too much, sometimes pulling out the eyes and such.  I also have a harder time getting the bait rigged straight with the movement of the keeper.  This is how I rig mine up using the same Gammy 5/0 keel weighted hooks CWB talked about!

Before hooking the bait:

1. Measure up your hook and make a mental note of where the hook will go through the body when its rigged.

2.  Take a small knife, razor, scissors, ect., and slice open the belly about a 1/2" or so in either direction of where the hook will insert into the belly.  (Works well with hollow baits, solid baits need to be sliced through to almost 1/8" to the back.)

3.  Run the hook through the nose and out the bottom like you would normally but do not runt the weighted portion through the nose.  It causes too much damage, this should allow the baits to last longer. Just run the eye of the hook up through the belly portion and through the nose.

4.  Now push the hook end centered through the back through the split belly.  The split belly bait will still right true and give the hook less plastic to go through on hook sets.

5.  I personally use a "sure set" style treble hook rigged on the main swimbait hook off the bottom of the swimbait after several incidents of loosing fish by not getting a good hookset.

Hope this helps out!

I use Gammy weighted superline hooks. 5/0 1/8 oz.

http://www.***.com/descpage-GSEGW.html

I don't like the screw in style as they tend to tear up the baits more.

I rig them by starting like I am rigging a standard texposed rigged hook but stop after the hook exits the nose. Back it out and then thread the eye of the hook into the hole you just made in the bottom and out thru the nose, then finish rigging as normal. This way you do not thread the lead thru the bait making a larger hole. I think you will find this type of hook more weedless than the screw in type also, especially if you are throwing it in thicker weeds with algae present. Nothing in front for muck to get caught on.

P.S. Great Bait!!!

Good summation

In Florida, I'm usually cranking through spatterdock and maidencane where the trailer-retainer is very critical.

With trailer heads made of tough solid plastic like horny toads, ribbits and gambler worms, the screw-coil is needed because the trailer will eventually ride back over a Z-bend shank.

Unfortunately the shadilicious has a hollow head made of fragile plastic, and as you pointed out, it's not hard to strip out the plastic nose.

I passed on those gamakatsu weighted-hooks because I prefer 3/8oz for lure stability and running depth.

Are they available in weights heavier than 1/8oz?

Roger

i use 6/0 hooks and i do split the belly on mine to give the hook more play room easier to set the hook to and wont tear up the bait as much.or if you want the best action out of that rig...just nose hook it i know everyone says itsa "banjo minnow" then haha but it works great and the action is something to see.

Good summation

In Florida, I'm usually cranking through spatterdock and maidencane where the trailer-retainer is very critical.

With trailer heads made of tough solid plastic like horny toads, ribbits and gambler worms, the screw-coil is needed because the trailer will eventually ride back over a Z-bend shank.

Unfortunately the shadilicious has a hollow head made of fragile plastic, and as you pointed out, it's not hard to strip out the plastic nose.

I passed on those gamakatsu weighted-hooks because I prefer 3/8oz for lure stability and running depth.

Are they available in weights heavier than 1/8oz?

Roger

Check these out Roger-

Falcon makes 3/8:

BPS also:

http://www.basspro.c...tems#itemDetail

Thanx a bunch CWB, they're now on my "To Buy" list

(Beginning tomorrow, Hemp will be legal...I mean Shemp)

Roger