Sign in to follow this  
krisjack69

Strike King Red Eye Shad

Can anyone tell me what is the size of hooks that the red eye shad has on the 1/2 and the 1/4 sizes.

Are you thinking of changing the hooks of these baits?  Just curious because I love these crankbaits and there hooks seems to be plenty sharp.

You can use this chart to figure it out yourself: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/downloads/sizing_chart.pdf

Are you thinking of changing the hooks of these baits?  Just curious because I love these crankbaits and there hooks seems to be plenty sharp.

Until they wear out, then they should be replaced.

How can figure it out by that chart.I still dont have clue what hook size i need.

If you are changing hooks, take the hooks off and go to a store that carries hooks(wal mart,gander mtn,academy,bps,cabelas) and make a comparison. If you want bigger or smaller judge by eye.

Doesn't anyone sharpen hooks anymore?

I keep a small, thin sharpening stone with me at all times when fishing and touch up all hooks when needed, even new ones. If it's beyond the point of saving, by all means change it out.

Only in an absolute pinch when it comes to crankbaits.  The chemically sharpened hooks do not sharpen very well.  I generally replace them when dull, since there is no way I can sharpen a hook as well as Owner can.

Now spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, etc. that's a different story, and in fact, I like to put my own point on them.

I've caught a few dozen fish on the red eye shad since I bought some last fall.  Today I hooked into a decent 2# LMB and as I was bringing him in he some how shakes free of the hooks and swims off!  

Or so I thought!

In the midst of my cuss storm, I grab the lure to check and see if the hooks were sharp cause this thread was pretty fresh in my mind and I came to find out that the hook wasn't shaken off after all.  >;)

The d**n hook came off the split ring! :-?

The split ring didn't straighten out, the hook just made its way off! :-?

That has never happen to me on any lure!  :o  I guess I need to check that from now on!