Sign in to follow this  
heyitskirby

Lake Chesdin

Planning on taking my Dad to Lake Chesdin on Father's Day. I've asked about this lake in the past but haven't been able to get there. Any tips would be appreciated.

I've read the VDGIF Bio Report and it appears that there is a healthy population of gizzard shad, so I can see one bait to use, but any structure suggestions and/or other baits would be a plus.

I've been told in the past to hit the coves hard, also know that the upper end features a lot of stumps. Is this upper area navigable by trolling motor for someone who hasn't been there?

Thanks in advance.

I had a tournament there about 2 weeks ago. The winning lures was wacky rigged junebug worms fished in grass and aroud lily pads. In the earlier morning throw the worm or buzzbait towards the back of the grass and work out. As the sun gets higher concentrate on pockets in the grass, and towards the outside of the grass with the worm.

The fellow that won our tournament caught his out of creek Winnepanock (sp?). But, there was a tournament that blasted off from there the week before, meaning he caught "recycled," bass. So, if you have some time on the internet search to see if any clubs fished Chesdin recently and were they blasted off.

Best of luck!

Wdy

Woody, get a map of Chesdin so you will know where you are going and have been. It is your historical data sheet for the future.

The creek is Whipponock.

Early AM throw topwaters.

After the topwater bite goes away use plastics and cranks into and along the grass lines.

Spinnerbaits may work, too.

Please secure a map of the lake and make sure that your boat is up to Virginia standards; you have a throw cushion out in plain sight; and do not go faster than 45 MPH, the lake's speed limit. Make sure everyone has a valid fishing license.

I suggest you do not go into the swamp unless you follow someone in and out of the area. It is very dangerous to you and your boat to try to get into the swamp without knowing what you are doing.

The lake is patrolled by both Chesterfield Police and Conservation Officers.

Lots of skiiers, jet skis, patoon boats, bass boats and speed boats so be careful and be sure to hold on when the wakes hit your boat.

Have fun and let us see some pics.

Coming from Powhatan...is it worth it to pay the fee and launch at Seven Springs Marina or go around to the public landing?

Also...what is the fee?

I think it is $7 at Seven Springs.

The free Dinwiddie ramp is very nice with lots of parking. :)

Post pictures if you get into anything good size!

Post pictures if you get into anything good size!

With my luck this year, I doubt I will!

Have a plan of sorts, but just looking forward to spending the day on the water with my dad.

So where is our feedback on how you all did on Chesdin???

Sam - caught one small one on a senko (green pumpkin w/black flake). Had a couple of other hits. Not much to write home about. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to fish deep with crank baits and I've never done much with topwater.

I've got some learning to do now that I'm trying to get away from the James.

My dad did well with nightcrawlers and a chartreuse grub, catching little sunfish and perch.

Did have a massive hit on a crankbait that immediately ripped it off. Felt it, set the hook, and then the line just came free like something bit it off. My knot shouldn't have ripped, are their bowfin in Chesdin?

Maybe it was the alligator I heard about on TV. (j/k)

No speed limit on chesdin anymore. I live on the lake and can assure you of that. The fish are there but info is going to be hard to come by. Chesdin is one of the best lakes in the state for big bass (if people believe it or not) but it is very hard to pattern. 2 weeks ago the winning sack of fish weighed 27lbs with a 5 fish limit. Good luck.

Good report.

Yes, there are some BIG bass in Chesdin. I lost a beauty in a tournament last month when my partner, who is new to bass fishing, never went for the net as I was fighing the fish and when I went for the net I put slack in the line and she threw the crankbait. Bummer.

You need to learn Cavitron buzzbaits and how to fish a popper. Buzzbaits early in the AM and late in the PM are outstanding.

The bass may be on the main lake for the cooler water. I am surprised they did not hit your Senkos.

Did you fish any of the docks and piers?

Chesdin is a great place to fish and you need to continue to go out there to learn the lake. :)

I didn't try the senkos deep, so who knows what would have happened. The one bass was caught near the grass line just past the power lines in Whipponock.

I threw a white buzzbait and a black buzzbait in the morning, but nothing was breaking the surface so I quickly moved away from that. Again...haven't had any luck with them... Strike King is typically my brand, just because I've had luck with their spinner baits.

There were baitballs on the surface in the back of Whipponock, but nothing seemed to be chasing them.

If you could suggest some poppers and other topwater baits for this area (meaning Richmond) I would appreciate it. My only experience catching fish with a popper is for red fish.

Is their any good grass to pull spinner baits through? Obviously a lot grass, but it looked like it was all shallow.

Topwaters are good before sunup. Once the sun comes up forget topwaters.

Cavitrons are the best to use followed by silver poppers like Pop-Rs and RICOs.

You fish the grasslines along the main river and into the creeks, plus any docks, piers and wood you see.

Throw many types of baits until you establish a pattern.

Chances are they are along the grass, under the docks/piers, by the boats in the marinas, by the wood and in any pads you can find.

Go back into the creeks.

Change bait colors until you find the right one for that day.

Spinnerbait bite should be getting better as the summer progresses. Don't forget the Chatterbait, too.

Fish s-l-o-w and take your time covering the shoreline.

Have fun. :)

Thanks for the tips Sam. I really want to get back there after seeing how easy it was to get there and get in and out.

There were a lot of boats, but the ramp was quiet. They must either live there or go in and out at the pay marinas. So even that made it easier.

Now I just need an opportunity to make it to Bass Pro soon to restock on some stuff...

So lets talk grass for a moment...I make spinnerbaits (Mr. Sooperbass Tackle Co.) and I can ASSURE you that you can effectively fish certain spinnerbaits in much thicker grass than you would ever expect. It all depends on how the grass is in the water. By that what I mean is if the grass is like the grass we have on chesdin then it doesn't really "lay over" in the water...it grows straight up and you would be surprised at the fish that live there all year long. Remember, if there is enough water to cover the fish's back then there is enough water to fish. I can't tell you how many HOGS I have caught (or have been in the boat to have seen caught) in less than one foot of water. Just something to think about.

Good info, will have to try next time. Any suggestion on colors? And by certain spinnerbaits...can you give examples?

Compact spinnerbaits are the key. I prefer a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce on a smaller frame. Blade choice can be up to you but agin I prefer a tandem colorado/willow combination. As long as the blades are turning you can catch fish. As far as colors go you should always try to match the hatch if you know the forage. If you are unsure you typically can't go wrong with white, chartreuse and white, or some variation of that. I believe a spinnerbait with a lighter wire puts off vibration just like a fleeing baitfish and if you put it where they live...they will attack it!