Sign in to follow this  
dulouz

Strange New Baitcasters At Dick's

I was wandering around Dick's the other day and picked up a couple of baitcaster combos and a few of them had switches that made the thumb bar automatically re-engage. I am not looking to buy one, but was curious what the purpose of this function would be. Seems to me like one more thing to go wrong...

Its made for flipping, also known as a flippin switch. Its so you dont have to engage the reel once the bait hits the water. It just saves a little time, but I wouldnt buy one, seems like just one more thing to go wrong, plus, I like to leave my reel disengaged for a bit so the bait can fall vertically.

x2 on letting it free fall. I've never had one but it kinda sounds like a gimmick, no offense to anybody who likes them or uses them. I just don't think it would be something i'm interested in. Are you buying field & stream brand baitcasters? i have one any am very please with it.

Not a big fan of flipping switches. I prefer a thumb bar that can be lifted up to re-engage the spool, which is pretty common on some baitcasters like Daiwas and at least some of the US Reel Supercasters.