6'6" MH , fast act, loomis IMX $270

6'8" M, xfast, cumara $220

6'9" M, fast, cumara reaction $200

BC reel:

abu revo sx $169

pflueger president $150

curado $200

daiwa fuego $200

I want this to be a general purpose rod, emphasis on dragging tubes and dropshotting. Would like to spend the minimum if other choices aren't that much better, leaning towards revo and reaction combo.

also, anyone know the difference btw the cumara's?

Can't help with rod selection, although from reading a previous thread I am planning on getting a 7'2" MH Cumara sometime in the near future. I can tell you that you most likely won't find a new Fuego as they were discontinued (last year I think). Might find one somewhere in a little shop, but I would offer less than the $200. I bought 2 new ones from TW when they closed them out for $145. My last one cost $120 used, but in very good shape. I love these reels. :)

Most people are going to tell you to go with the Curado. I've no experience with Shimano, so can't comment other than to say it's doubtful you could go wrong with one based on the high regard it has on several forums. I do like what I've read about the President, and think it is well worth the money from the reviews I've read on it. But, again, that is an opinion. One not based on actual experience.

I'm also curious as to what the actual difference between the two Cumara rods is other than one inch and the action. Would they be used for different techniques?

It would seem that you've done a good job researching. You could tape your selections to a wall, throw a dart at it, buy the ones the dart landed nearest to, and not be dissatisfied. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

I would say that if you plan on using it for dropshoitting you should definately go with the medium power choices which also should be available from loomis if you are willing to choose a different model. To me loomis is the cream of the crop when it comes to rods but I have heard great things about the cumara rods so since you want price to be an important factor I would probably stick with them. From everything I've heard about them they are very sensitive and a great choice. As far as the reel is concerned I'm a huge fan of pflueger reels but only use their patriarch reels so I can't speak for the president. But shimano is going to be releasing a new curado/cronarch here in the near future and most everywhere has the curados on clearance for somewhere in the range of 130-150. With that kind of price I would probably go with a curado because its a great reel and a great price. And matched with the cumara you will end up with a great combo for a great price/value. Good luck with the purchase, there's nothing better than hitting the water for the first time with a new combo!

Far as the reels go if ordering online JaxBasser said that Gander Mountain has reels over $100 onsale when using gmg20. When I looked it up myself the Revo SX with code is $129. The Curado unfortunately is on backorder.

I'm guessing the deals is still going on.

i would go with a curado on a cumara, check americanbassoutlet.com they're a sponsor for our forum too.