Sign in to follow this  
bdjk00

Best Crankbait Color And Type

Want peoples opinion on what they think the best color and type of crankbait there is. Particularly for Florida fishing.

You can check out the article section and read for days and soak all that kinda info in and nearly burst there's so much of it. Water clarity tends to dictates color choice. There seems to be a universal rule that natural colors work well on clear waters and brighter, more obvious colors in murky waters.

There's no magic bullet when it comes to any bait, let alone cranks. I've got 500 +/- cranks of various manufacture, color, depth, track, action, and bill style. I don't fish ALL of them, but I fish all of the styles I have at some point in the year. More information about where you're fishing, what depths you want to cover, what water quality and clarity, as well as any other pertinent information will help more people to answer your question with greater effect. Asking for what works here or there is like asking the bank if they have money. Be as specific as possible and you'll get more specific answers.

What part of Florida are you fishing? I'm in N. Central Florida (ocala area) and most of the lake's and river's here are full of grass, log's, and dirty water. My most productive (for bigger fish) color has been a bluegill color on either a rapala dt6 or trap. I'll fish them around wood and grass, preferrably about 6-10ft deep. My second and third color's would be a golden shiner and a sliver shad, they work great when fish are schoolling and will certainly get you some numbers. Can't help you out much on clear lake's ( I try not to fish them when I can) If I have to though I will fish the old f-11 rapala in the gold color or finesse junk....! lol.

Caught both of these on a bluegill colored trap, 20 min apart....

post-11313-0-45098500-1309013026_thumb.j

im a HUGE fan of silver/blue in any color water.

Rapala Risto Rap and Fat Rap to be exact.

When it comes to color, a lot of it depends on the conditions in which you are fishing, but it is also very important that you have confidence in what you are throwing. One of my favorite colors is Hot Mustard. I throw will throw that color in 75% of situations because I have so much confidence that it will produce for me, and in many cases it does.

When I lived in Florida (mid 90's) it was hard to beat a 1/2 oz. chrome/blue back Rat-L-Trap.

@ b75nweav, I live in Coral Springs (South florida). I have a good spot in the everglades where the water is i guess a stained color, not murky.

To all, do you think a plain shad color will catch fish in most places universally?

I don't know about Florida specifically, but you should be good with:

Shad-imitating colors

Bluegill-imitating colors

Crawdad-imitating colors

Add some chartreuse patterns and you should be good to go.

Tom